Woman gets 90 days for false rape accusations... your thoughts?

02/15/2008 Woman gets 90 days for false rape accusations By: Shawn R. Beals , Journal Inquirer ENFIELD - A woman was sentenced Thursday to 90 days in prison for falsely accusing her ex-fiance of raping her. The woman, Cariann Backus, 22, who lived in Enfield at the time of the accusations in 2006, pleaded... show more 02/15/2008
Woman gets 90 days for false rape accusations
By: Shawn R. Beals , Journal Inquirer

ENFIELD - A woman was sentenced Thursday to 90 days in prison for falsely accusing her ex-fiance of raping her.
The woman, Cariann Backus, 22, who lived in Enfield at the time of the accusations in 2006, pleaded guilty Jan. 24 and was sentenced Thursday by Judge Howard Scheinblum in Enfield Superior Court.

The victim, John Freed, told the judge that as a result of the accusations and his subsequent arrest, he had to abandon his education at Asnuntuck Community College. He explained that he lost grant money.

Freed also said he had to pay $4,500 for lawyers and post a $1,000 bond to be released from custody after spending two nights in the police lockup.

"She destroyed my character and reputation," he said when Backus entered the plea bargain last month.

Backus received a 30-day prison term for each of three false accusations, to be served consecutively.

She pleaded guilty to three counts each of falsely reporting an incident and making a false statement, both in the second degree.

After she is released from prison she will be on probation for three years, with 2¾ years of additional prison time hanging over her head for any violation of court-ordered conditions.

Those conditions included payment of $5,500 in restitution to Freed, having no contact with him, and continuing psychiatric treatment, with medication.

"You ruined that man's life," Scheinblum told Backus.

"I don't think he will ever know how sorry I am," she replied. She also asked for the judge to have mercy on her in imposing the sentence.

"I'm going to have mercy on you because I'm not going to put you in prison for three years," he replied angrily.

After he was arrested, Freed said through the court victim's advocate, Backus appeared in court and asked for him to go to jail because of the alleged rape.

He then made a point to stay home with someone else for more than a year so that he could have an alibi. When the allegations continued, Enfield police caught on and probed the reports, finding them to be false.
39 answers 39