Is this economic stimulus Tax Rebate really just a loan that you will have to repay in 2008 ??

There has been a lot of hype about the 2008 Tax Rebate checks that will be coming in May. Mostly, the talk is that this is FREE MONEY for the people to spend to help to save us from the recession. However, I saw something in an article about it, that it is actually a credit against your 2008 income tax bill, and... show more There has been a lot of hype about the 2008 Tax Rebate checks that will be coming in May. Mostly, the talk is that this is FREE MONEY for the people to spend to help to save us from the recession. However, I saw something in an article about it, that it is actually a credit against your 2008 income tax bill, and that there will be a line on the 2008 incom tax form to list it as a credit received.

So here's my question -- is this really just a loan from our good ol' Uncle Sam, and my 2008 income tax (filing jointly, expecting to get $1200 in May 2007) will be $1200 more than it would have been without this rebate? I am befuddled.