Antman asked in 社會與文化語言 · 1 decade ago

Pull a fast one 的 fast one 是什麼

標題限30個字,原來空格、半形、全形全都視為一個「字」,害我的標題看起來很沒禮貌,先跟各位說聲抱歉啊!

請翻譯機魔人不要翻譯下列的內容,謝謝!

Anyway. I know this phrase "to pull a fast one" means something like "to play a trick in a deceitful way" but I'm curious about what exactly this "fast one" is?

I kind of have a gut feeling that it means "a fast job", but if what I guessed is true, how does "fast" relate to "deceitful"?

Does anybody know about this?

Update:

Wow! You guys are amazing!

I tried googling first before I posted this thread, but nothing big turned up.

It seems to me that:

a) I should really work on my googling skills, haha.

b) the very same question will remain puzzling as long as it goes.

3 Answers

Rating
  • C L
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The very same question was once raised in2005 on a website (http://p211.ezboard.com/pull-a-fast-one/fwordorigi... It kicked off heated discussion. Quite a bunch of web surfers, presumablynative speakers of English, offered their own explanations. There are severaltheories.

One guy cited Oxford English Dictionary (OED),which interprets the subject phrase as “to take unfairadvantage by (rapid) action of some sort.” Antman's ownidea is quite in line with what OED says.

Another guy theorized that the phrase hadas its source a line in a Shakepere’s play. Yet another person came forward todescribe and explain that the con game “fast and loose” was where it originatedfrom.

This should give you something to chew. Inshort, OED's paraphrasing is as authorative as the other explanations areinteresting.

2008-02-16 23:26:54 補充:

Word corrections:

presumablynative >>> presumably native

severaltheories >>> several theories

unfairadvantage >>> unfair advantage

ownidea >>> own idea

hadas >>> had as

todescribe >>> to describe

originatedfrom >>> originated from

Inshort >>> In short

areinteresting >>> are interesting

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i think the reason "fast" is used because....

something like, pulled a trick so fast, that you couldn't react in time.

which means, if it wasn't fast, you woud be able to prevent it.

and the only reason that the trick worked, is because it was "too fast for you to react", therefore, accomplishing the deceitful purpose.

反正就是有被擺了一道的意思

會被人擺道也就是因為你還來不及反應人家就得手了

Source(s): 美國流浪的我
  • 1 decade ago

The explanation mentioned in the URL is the only thing that looks plausible after googling for a while. It doesn't cite any source though.

2008-02-18 10:01:47 補充:

klee, nice find. you have my vote. :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.