juneau asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 1 decade ago

If the cable tech accidently gave me cable TV channels?

I had my broadband internet service activated by a tech from a cable provider.

I found out, all by accident, that when I plug in cable coax line to my HDTV, I was able to get a LOT more channels including CNN.

I don't understand what happened.

Is it best to unplug the cable coax from my HDTV or just watch those huge amount of extra channels until cable company notices?

Update:

But I did not order cable channels. I only ordered Internet. I ordered and got my Internet activated several months ago, and I did not find out about all these extra channels until this week.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

as a cable guy, i sometimes do not put the filter (trap) on the line. Sometimes it is just i dont have one in my truck at the time, or the weather sucks, and i dont want to climb the pole. The company I work for checks to see if I coded for it in my paperwork (most cable installers are piece work). If i didnt, and wont get paid for it, It usually ends up going back out to me or another tech. Sometimes I will return and do it within a couple weeks, but sometimes im sure i forget all together. Eventually, there will be an audit done on your street where someone will go up the pole or into the pedestal and verify that the "traps" are installed, and the worst that can happen, is they knock on your door and say "did you know you were getting these channels for free?". Then they will try to sell it to you. Dont worry, there is nothing they can do. Think of it like getting free gravy on your fries, they cant charge you for it once you started eating it. Good luck.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I think the same thing is happening to me. Most of the new HDTV's include a HD Tuner and this may be how you are getting all of these channels. I am able to get a lot of channels from this including High Definition channels. The channels I am getting are not the same numbers as tv guide. If this is the case for you, then it is legal and enjoy watching tv.

If this is not happening to you, you can try this out by programming your channels and select analog and digital and it will pick up all those channels from the hd tuner.

• 1 decade ago

In 1985 one of my relatives got their cable accidently connected. The cable company never billed them for it and it wasn't until 1999 that a tech knocked on the door and said, did you know you have cable? and my relative said, "no, I don't watch TV" And so the cable guy disconnected it. Not bad for getting free cable for 14 years. However, now the cable companies are a lot more accountable about who has cable.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The cable company most likely won't notice. It was up to the install tech to put a filter on the line and if he was too lazy to do it then it's their issue not yours. Enjoy the free cable.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They forgot to add the filter onto the line.

Technically, the cable company could accuse you of stealing cable. But I doubt they would be able to prove that claim in a court of law. They have sued people who intentionally worked around their filters. But once again, that's not your case.

If you don't care about the TV channels (I'm with you on that, no TV makes life easier) then you could call them all tell them.

I wouldn't consider it stealing, but I'm not the cable company and they might feel differently. I'd say "better safe than sorry" in this case.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I wouldn't worry about it....you didn't order the channels and they can't make you pay for something that they gave you access to.....

They probably consider it a freebie, since they can't or won't filter the TV signal from your internet signal.....

Source(s): Over 25 years servicing TV sets.
  • 1 decade ago

if you got internet from yor cable company then you got cable.so dont worry you are legal.FYI you are supposed to get HD channels because most channels are HD.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can unsubscribe from TV option & install one program so that you can watch those channels free of cost.

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

EVER FELT RIPPED OFF BY YOUR FRIENDLY CABLE CO.?

• 1 decade ago

keep it!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.