Tattoo not healing, bleeding (blood, not ink)?

I got my tattoo on my lower stomach Feb. 2nd of this year. It has been 13 days since I got it, and its healed up for the most part, but there is a big scabby area with cracks and such in it. My cat jumped up on my lap and walked across my stomach earlier, and it started bleeding a little bit on one spot. This is my 4th tattoo, and this has never happened. Not only was it bleeding, but I'm concerned about the rough scabby spot still. It should already be healed like the rest of the tattoo, but its painful and like I said before, cracked. Will this ruin it? I can still see the color, but I hope it doesn't leak out. Please give me some advice?!

I just called my tattoo shop where I got this done at, and they said this was normal, however, I don't believe this is normal. The big crack is BLEEDING and it looks like I have a gaping gash where someone cut me or something, I KNOW thats not normal!!

Its a decent sized tattoo, its a nautical star and its full color, red & black.

Favorite Answer

Dont panic mate, while it is certainly not a preferable outcome, it is "normal". Tattoo's really should not scab, they should only peel and flake like sunburn however there will be a few reasons why a part of it has scabbed. One is that you may have bled a lot initially and werent able to successfully wash away the blood patelets before they dried on your skin. If the scab is also on a part of your tummy that is creased or sustains a lot of movement, it will explain the crack. The colour will not "leak" out, but you need to take care of the wound. Do not let your cat any where near it, limit exertion, apply your cream three times a day and consider purchasing manuka honey, but be sure to do a test patch first as it is made from tea tree. It will more than likely take a few extra weeks to heal, but let the scab come off naturally when it is ready, do not be tempted to assist it. If it hasnt improved in a few days of taking extra care, go and see your tattooist. If you have any health concerns and don't feel you are being taken seriously by your tattooist, you can always consult a doctor. Good Luck!

Source(s): I am a Professional Tattoo Artist in Oz We now have a myspace page where we happily answer all your questions. Come and check it out and if you like it, add yourself as a friend. We have been busy writing blogs to answer all the questions we have been asked. We still have heaps more to put in, but feel free to let us know what you think. The Apprentice. http://www.myspace.com/bellstattooist
  • Carla

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avrlm

there is no real way to prevent it, it depends on your body. if you drink alcohol 24hrs prior to getting a tattoo it will cause the ink to become runny because ur blood is thined. also if you are a "bleeder" when you get tattooes you cant help that and it will cause the ink to bleed through. now since i read further into ur question and saw u already have it sooooo heres my advice: Neosporin or any petroleum-based ointment is going to : 1. Pull the color out of your tattoo. 2. Not allow the tattoo to breathe- remember, this is an open wound. 3. Collect dust and allergens. 4. make the tattoo look shitty You should use a lotion without scents or colors, like Vaseline Intensive Care or lubiderm cocoa butter works great too. If you use any old lotion that u had lying around for a long time, it can pull the color out of your tattoo. Scented lotions will sting like hell, irritate your tattoo and delay the healing process . Use just enough lotion to slightly moisturize your skin. do not over lube it, It should not be wet. If your tattoo is wet, the skin will puff up and create thick scabs, which will, you guessed it, pull the color out of your tattoo. so since it is under ur arm im not sure how long ago u got it or what stage in healing it is but keep it clean dry and lubed and btw u can use sunblock on a tattoo no matter how new or old it is. it is recommended because the sun will fade the tattoo and make it look like ****. even after it is healed still put sunblock on it spf 50 is the best.

You should not be putting sunblock on a fresh tattoo. It's new, so it's gonna bleed out a little for the first day or two. It's your body's natural reaction to push whatever ink didn't make it all the way to the dermis layer that it should have out of your body. After that, then it shouldn't really be bleeding ink. By the third day I wasn't bleeding any ink and it was starting to heal, so I'd apply a fragrance and dye free lotion a couple times a day.

• weicht

Tattoo Scab Bleeding

Mine bled in one area after I bumpedit on accident, and while its freaky, you'll be okay. Do not pick at it, let it heal. Wash with no scent soap and no scent lotion ONLY. No Aquaphor, A+D, none of that. Those are meant to heal wounds and will draw ink out. Some may use it and claim their tattoos are fine, but I wouldn't chance it. The human body has an amazing way of healing itself.

If the shop said it was normal over the phone why dont you go in there in person and show them. It may make you feel better to actually have them look at it. Without seeing it none of us will be able to give you a really good answer. It does sound like normal healing but then again if you think it looks like someone cut you go the shop and have them look at it. Good luck to you!

Is this a big tat? if it is and has lots of shading then the healing process would take a little longer than normal, and as for your cat walking on it you may want to wash it with some antibacterial soap.

My brother had got The same tatt in blue and black on his chest area, and it did have alot of shading, But it didn't take that long to heal. As long as you keep it clean and continue to put ointment on it, it should be fine. The gash of skin missing is just from the tatt artist getting in that one spot to long and that will prob. scar but it should heal. If the tatt shop is clean and you saw the artist open up fresh needle packages you should worry Too much. but i would give it another week. after that go see a doc.

Your tattoo is just taking time to heal. Don't pick it. Just let it heal. Continue to put on the ointment to moisturize it and the lotion too. I had that on one of my tattoos, and it eventually went away.

• Janna

You might have an infection. Go see a doctor.