what's the difference between 1080i, "Full HD," and 1080p picture resolution?

And knowing what you know today, would you go with a 50" plasma or a similar-sized LCD?

• Favorite Answer

1080p is "Full HD". While 1080i is still "HD quality" 1080p is the highest resolution that consumer HDTV's come in. "p" stands for "progressive" and is generally superior to "i" or "interlaced". Without going to much into the details of the two, I'll just say that the quality of the image from 1080p is higher than that of 1080i although often comes at a higher pricetag. 1080i and 720p are almost identical as far as quality goes, so you can kinda of get an idea of just how much weight the "p" carries. Also consider what you'll be watching most of the time because HD broadcasts over cable or satalite only go up to 1080i and 720p so owning a TV capable of 1080p in that case would make no difference. The only sources of 1080p would be from HD dvd's, blueray discs, and some video game consoles (and only certain games at that) so unIess you watch alot of movies, going with a 1080i tv could save you a bit of money or give you the option to go for a bigger TV for the same price. I just bought a 60" 1080i plasma a few days ago and ever since have become obsessed with researching about it and comparing it to other models since they are such heavy investments. I wish I had the same TV in 1080p but that could cost almost double what I payed considering the size. At smaller sizes though the price difference between 1080i & 1080p isn't as great. If you want my opinion, if I were only buying a 50" TV then I would get an LCD because they are naturally anti-glare, and there are bright lights in my TV room, but since I wanted a larger TV than that I had to go with a plasma since LCD's don't get that big yet. There are advantages and disadvantages to both and at this point I am convinced that neither are superior, so don't base you purchasing decisions too much on the type of technology rather than the other details such as size, price, resolution, etc. Also note that many pro's say that contrast ratio (which is somtimes is not payed much attention to while comparing TV's) is actually one of the most imortant details to consider while buying an HDTV.

Source(s): I hope I was able to help somehow. Good luck in finding your new TV.
  • ?

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axKws

You won't have a choice in the matter. Remembering that you're on the UK&I site, which is not one that Americans should be answering (their tv system is, and will continue to be, different from ours). The standard chosen for any particular programme will be determined by the broadcaster or DVD maker not by you, so it's really an academic point. In practice you will only see 720p or 1080i off-air so the person who implied that you'd get better sports viewing with 1080p was passing impossible information. A lot of uninformed rubbish is placed on this forum about 'the number of lines' and whetehr it's i or p. Most of it is either guesswork or repetition of Adveriser's Puffs. Even if you're watching Blu-Ray or HD DVD it's going to be almost impossible to tell the difference on any screen less than 60". In fact, on any screen less that 47" it would be almost impossible to tell the difference in resolution between 720i (HD standard) and 625i (current PAL/SECAM standard). You'd have to sit so close to the screen to see the lines that you'd get a headache.

1080p is way better quality than 1080i. 1080p is full HD but only few things give out this resolution, blu-ray player,ps3, hd-dvd. Pros and Cons about but i have two plasmas and 1 LCD my self because i think there picture in plasma is brighter and better than LCD. LCD looks great with models 40'' and under.