Can anyone explain to me how George Orwell can be a socialist and write a book like 1984?

Everyone I know always tells me that I should read 1984. They know that i am interested with politics/philosophy and a government that supports our rights as humans (explained in declaration of independence). With that being said, i cant get myself to read 1984 at the moment, i will at some point in my life,... show more Everyone I know always tells me that I should read 1984. They know that i am interested with politics/philosophy and a government that supports our rights as humans (explained in declaration of independence).

With that being said, i cant get myself to read 1984 at the moment, i will at some point in my life, but i know it is going to be painful to know that he was a socialist. How could he write a book on government corruption and support socialism?

If i am wrong to say he was a socialist, let me know, all my information i have tells me he is.

I know that his book can be said to be written about facism. But dictatorships arise from communism/socialism. It is a fact. See Stalin.

Anyone else feel the way i do?