Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Can abortion be considered ethically without religion being brought into the debate?

If you were dying from leukemia, and you needed a bone marrow transplant to save your life, would you believe it is ethical to force someone into a donation operation who didn't want to donate his/her bone marrow? For purposes of this argument, let's say that there is only one match, and that you cannot find anyone else who matches your bone marrow due to HLA proteins.

You are in a car accident because you were hit by a drunk driver. Your kidneys got damaged from trauma. You need new kidneys. Is it ethical to force the drunk driver into a kidney donation operation? It is his/her fault, after all. What if the driver wasn't drunk, and the road conditions were terrible? The driver had new snow tires, was wide awake, obeying te speed limit but as much as s/he tried to prevent an accident, it happened anyway.

Is it ethical to forcefully modify and/or access someone else's body without his or her consent? Does the right to live negate this previously outlined ethical view?

Going further...

Should blood donations be required, and not volunteered? Entering into the bone marrow registry? Being an organ donor upon death?

Oh, I know there's no religion in what I said. Many times (not all, but many) I see religious people saying that abortion is wrong using Bible quotes about God knowing you before you were born. If you're religious, and I'm making a non-religious ethics argument...can you still defend it?

To respond to this:

"Is it ethical to think you can do whatever the Hell you want and not have to worry about the consequences?"

I don't think people engage in sex and not worry about consequences. At least, not most people. There are the few who will use abortion as a means of birth control, but by and large, I don't think many people run off to have sex without thinking of the consequences. If so, there wouldn't be a market for birth control, and so many kinds too.

Best Answer

Let's look at it this way. What is the abortion doing? It is removing a baby from a person before it is born. Well how does the baby get there? Somebody had sex. Now, barring rape, sex is an act that requires consent and one of the possible side effects is a baby. If you do not want the baby the easiest solution is do not have sex. If you do not want to deal with the consequences of an action do not engage in that action in the first place. If you need the act then you can deal with the consequences.

Is it ethical to think you can do whatever the Hell you want and not have to worry about the consequences? If it is then what is the point of laws because by definition they would be unethical.

1. Abortion has no argument but for people who are religious and think life starts at conception. It is an entirely religious argument. That said, I think the potential for life should be taken into account, but also the health of the possible baby and future mother, and what caused the pregnancy. These things are case-by-case, not an outright movement.

2. Forcing someone to donate bone marrow for me would be unethical. I would hope someone would. That is all.

3. No, it's not ethical to force someone to undergo surgery due to an accident. Besides, why would I want a drunk's kidney (just imagine the possible negatives)? And that doesn't change for someone who did everything in their power to avoid the accident.

4. It's done all the time to children. I'm not sure how right or wrong it is. Most kids are happy about having their ears pierced, or don't care about whatever body modifications were done before their memory. So that makes it additionally confusing.

Absolutely not! Everyone has the right to choose whether they want to donoate blood, an organ, etc. However, no one should be FORCED to put their body on the line, even if it could save someone elses life.

So, to respond to your first incident..

I do think it would be unethical to force someone to donate their blood marrow. But at the same time, it would be immoral [maybe?] if the person who had the only bone marrow match refused to donate it. But either way, we all have the right to our own bodies and the choices that we make with them.

I am a Christian , however, if I wasn't I would still think abortion is absolutely wrong- why? Because that child, has no choice in giving up his/her life. Everyone from conception has a right to life- and ethical not giving that baby any choice is wrong. How is taken an innocent life right, even if you are not a Christian? I don't understand the reasoning behind legalizing taking a life-

Scientifically it is proven that a baby's heart is beating 3 weeks after conception- and a woman finds out that she is pregnant usually after that. I feel that abortion is ethically and morally wrong- however, I cannot separate that from the fact that God created that child either.

You can't force anyone to donate, unless they are on life support and you somehow convince the closest relative. If they are capable of giving their own permission then good, but most times they won't be a match. Of they'll be in jail for what they did.

PS: Not everyone has the correct requirements or right health to donate organs, blood, marrow and tissues.

First of all, if stem cell research was not hindered by ignorant fundies they could be seeking to find a way to grow kidneys and limbs.

Birth control and sex education prevents abortions.

Abortion can never be forced or prevented because women have the right to decide what happens to their bodies.

Yes

Any ethics can be considered without religion. Religion just gives you an easy answer sometimes, but not necessarily the best one.

I have a right to control my body unless what my body violates somebody elses rights.

I have the right to control my arms but do I have a right to put you in a choke hold and strangle you?

Scientifically speaking abortion is the taking of an innocent human life, which is murder.

How can I say this? If you do a tissue sample of the fetus you will find that the fetus is human (DNA, ect.) You can observe the cells multiplying. Life. Human life.

Now that we have proved that abortion is murder from a scietific viewpoint, what does the Bible say?

The Bible says the fetus is a baby, a human life, and that God knows the baby in the womb of the mother.

Psa 139

13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

Job 10:18 Wherefore then hast thou brought me forth out of the womb? Oh that I had given up the ghost, and no eye had seen me!

Judges 13:1-7. In essence we see that Manoah's wife is told not to drink wine or strong drink because the child she was carrying in her womb was a Nazarite. The law applied to the unborn child in this case. The unborn child obviously is alive or it would not be required to keep the law.

Luke 1:44, "For lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy." This is Elizabeth speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost and gives a human attribute to the child in her womb, John the Baptist

This is the same word (brephos) Luke uses in Luke 2:12,16 "Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger." Luke 18:15,16 meaning infants and 1 Peter 2:2 "newborn babes."

Genesis 35:16-26. This passage deals with Jacob and his wives going to Ephrath from Bethel after they had left Padanaram. The statement in verse 26 says they were all born in Padanaram. But if you will notice one of them was obviously born after they left and were

between Ephrath and Bethel, that one was- Benjamin. Why would the writer of Genesis makesuch an bvious "mistake"? If the time element is looked into, you can see that Benjamin

was conceived in Padanaram but literally born in the promised land. This shows what God thinks of the place to start counting a life.

Genesis 25:22-26 and Hosea 12:3. These verses show that the struggling in the womb was not just two "appendages" bumping into each other.

Second Samuel 11:5. This verse, along with countless others, Says she was "with child" not with "appendage

The apostle Paul was separated for God while in the womb of his mother.

Gal 1:15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,

Proverbs 6:16-17"The Lord hates hands that shed innocent blood."

Children are a blessing from God, not a curse.

Genesis 25:21"And Isaac intreated the Lord for his wife, because she was barren: and the Lord was intreated of him, and Rebecca his wife conceived."

Genesis 33:5"The children which God has graciously given me."

Psalm 127:3 "Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is His reward."

This society has an improper attitude towards children ,sacrificing them to the god of convenience.

2 Kings 17:16-20"And they forsook all the commandments of the Lord their God.... And they burned their sons and daughters as offerings....Therefore the Lord was very angry with Israel and removed them out of His sight."

I don't see where religion appears in your debate...