It's hard for me to admit this but I think I have a mental disorder?

I think I have social anxiety disorder. I'm fine sometimes in one on one conversations with people I know very well, but if I'm talking to a stranger or a group of strangers, I get hot, I shake, I cant be still, and when people in other groups laugh I think they might be laughing at me. I wasn't always this way. I used to be very social and I remember when this feeling started (I was about 20, now I'm 27). I don't feel that way all the time, it just depends. I was at an engagement dinner last week-- there were about 15 people at the table but I just felt like everyone was looking at me and I was just so nervous and uncomfortable. I started trembling and couldn't eat without dropping the food from my fork every other bite. It was awful. How do I get help? Do I go to a General physician and get a referral to a psych? I have no idea what to do or how to get meds and I'm afraid to tell anyone I know because of the stigma associate with mental health. What do I do?

Favorite Answer

This happened to my aunt - she went to her regular doc and they did some blood tests. Turned out she has a chemical imbalance of some sort, and once she started taking medication it stopped. In other words it's not necessarily a "mental disorder" like you are assuming - go to your doctor & explain it as you've explained it here (or print this out and show him). Good luck!

First of all, you are not alone with this feeling. There are many of us out there who experience these same scary situations. Go to your medical doctor first. Be honest. They've heard this before and getting help is the most important thing. I understand not telling people because of the stigma. Sites like this are a god-send, as it's the only place I can be honest and get good feedback. I can't share with friends or family myself. But do seek help. It is OKAY!

I used to feel that way too. It got to the point for a while that I couldn't go anywhere alone. I went to see a therapist. She had me do little things everyday, like going to the movies by my self or out to eat. I kinda had to relearn how to communicate with people and have confidence in myself.

It's OK to need help sometimes and a lot of people have social anxiety, probably a lot more than you would believe. Your not crazy, you just might need a little help to feel like your old self again.

well, you've already done the first part.

if you contact a local mental wellness program they will be able to tell you if you need to get a referral. many even have social workers available to help you through any paperwork you have to deal with.

use the link below, it was the first one on google and it had all the links i would hope for.

i am impressed by your bravery!!

You need to talk to your family Doc and let him/her recommend someone. Stigma or no stigma, it's OK to ask for help if you feel you need it.

Good luck

If you want perfect composure, then listen up. Just one thing is necessary....

In any given situation, just be ready and willing to respond in whatever way is necessary.

ohhh... idk go to a psychiatrist