Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Do Jehovah's Witnesses believe in heaven and not hell?

I'm very close to someone who was raised JW and he says that there is no hell; only a heaven.

Is that really what they believe?

If so, does it sound strange to anyone else?

It's almost like... "If I'm good, I'll go to heaven, but if I'm evil, I'll pay no price for it."

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Jehovah's Witnesses believe in the Bible hell which is a bit different from the traditional view of hell that comes from paganism and mythology.

The Bible hell does not hold out anguish and torment as a punishment. Simply put, the Bible teaches that hell (Greek: hades) is the common grave of mankind where there is no consciousness whatsoever. Thus the book of Acts teaches that when he died, Jesus went to hell (Hades) because that is where dead people go. It is the abode of the dead.

Moreover, God teaches that the reward for obedience is everlasting life; the punishment for disobedience is everlasting death. The contrast is between life and death, not life that feels good and life that burns. Romans 6:23. Although some people construe certain scriptures to mean that God torments people in a burning hellfire; a closer consideration shows this to be a mistaken understanding. Witnesses believe what the Bible teaches about hell even though it contradicts what traditional hellfire doctrine sets forth. Witnesses accept God's word rather than traditional doctrines that contradict it.

Hope this helps.

Hannah J Paul

• Login to reply the answers
  • elene
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

John 14:6, Acts 4:12, sixteen:30-31 the only thank you to be stored is thru Jesus Christ, believing His sacrifice on the go, and accepting as your savior. in case you enable Him on your existence and settle for Him with all your heart and then examine the scriptures lower back as you have for 5 yrs, the Holy Spirit will handbook you and could grant help to appreciate God's observe and you gets as close as you ever theory to God. yet you will possibly desire to deny your self and stay for Him. God Bless You and that i'm hoping the internet sites above and this msg helped

• Lenio
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Hell is the common grave. Not a place of fiery torment for the wicked. Heaven refers to the domain where God and his son Jesus are, and they rule over us with the angels. Also 144 000 who have been chosen from Jesus followers here on earth - to rule with him as Kings and Priests in heaven.

Psalm 37:29 says our hope is to live forever on Earth not in Heaven.

"The righteous themselves will possess the earth,

And they will reside forever upon it".

We strive to be among the righteous - seeking to what is right in God's eyes.

Psalm 37:10, 11 And just a little while longer, and the wicked one will be no more;

And you will certainly give attention to his place, and he will not be.

11 But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,

And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.

There is no talk of a place of torment for the evil. the price we pay for sin is death.

Ecclesiates 9:5 For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten.

Romans 6:23 For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord.

Death is the ultimate price, Our God is a God of love and it his desire that we all be saved. He wants us all to have the oppurtunity to learn about his grand purpose for this earth and has even provided the ultimate sacrifice, that we can benefit from.

John 3:16 For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.

So to answer your question, if you are good - you are likely going to live here on earth, in a restored paradise. No more evil or suffering, the things that we groan about today.

Revelation 21:3-4 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

Source(s): The bible (NWT) www.watchtower.org
  • 1 decade ago

The wages sin pays is death. Romans 6:23.

Hell is the Bible's grave and everyone gets out of it. Rev. 20:13, 14. It is not eternal anything.

Rev. 20 ASV

12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne; and books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of the things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead that were in it; and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death, even the lake of fire.

After everyone gets out of hell, then they are judge for 1,000 years by Jesus and the quota of judges up in heaven. Then they are either written in the book of life or merit the eternal second death.

Isaiah 26 ASV

9 With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee earnestly: for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.

10 Let favor be showed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness; in the land of uprightness will he deal wrongfully, and will not behold the majesty of Jehovah.

Acts 24:15 NASB

15having a hope in God, which (A)these men cherish themselves, that there shall certainly be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

Ecclesiastes 9 NASB

2(D)It is the same for all There is (E)one fate for the righteous and for the wicked; for the good, for the clean and for the unclean; for the man who offers a sacrifice and for the one who does not sacrifice. As the good man is, so is the sinner; as the swearer is, so is the one who is afraid to swear.

3This is an evil in all that is done under the sun, that there is (F)one fate for all men Furthermore, (G)the hearts of the sons of men are full of evil and (H)insanity is in their hearts throughout their lives. Afterwards they go to the dead.

4For whoever is joined with all the living, there is hope; surely a live dog is better than a dead lion.

5For the living know they will die; but the dead (I)do not know anything, nor have they any longer a reward, for their (J)memory is forgotten.

Until the thousand year judgement day, ALL dead are in the same place which is hell/grave. The judges go to heaven first in the first resurrection. When ALL the heavenly class is in heaven and Armageddon has occurred, then the completed group start resurrecting the rest of the dead back to earth. Rev. 20:4-6, 1 Cor. 6:2, 3.

God isn't doing the judging or punishing of people. Those who go to heaven do it. So it cannot start until all are in heaven.

Debbie

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

God began by telling Adam if you disobey you will die.

That is the price we have paid all these thousands of years because Adam did disobey.

He was a perfect man living in a perfect paradise like Hawaii. But tossed out when he blatantly disobeyed God. He was pushed into a harsh land with thorns and weeds.

He did not have Jehovah's protection any longer and there were wild animals everywhere.

Hell is the common grave of mankind...it is a fitting punishment.

Jesus came to earth to ransom mankind from the sentence of death. Now we have resurrection hope.

• 4 years ago

Was just wondering what Jehovah wit. believed and was trying compare the difference to my belief. I believe if there is a glorious heaven, then there is a horrible torturous hell. Not just death and that is all. But... to each his own. One of these days, we will ALL see the truth.

• 1 decade ago

The quick answer is yes. But we do not believe that if we are "good" that we will go to Heaven. Most of humanity will eventually live on a paradise earth, which is what God originally intended.

Alan, we do believe that Jesus is the only begotten son.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, that is correct. But they believe that only a small, select group will go to heaven---144,000, who will be co-rulers with Christ during the millennium. The rest of the good will live forever in a restored earthly paradise, since god's purposes cannot be thwarted, only delayed. And his original purpose was for the entire earth to become a paradise. They believe hell to be a fabrication of "false" religion, based on misinterpretation of Holy Writ.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There are several denominations that believe in universal reconciliation with God in one way or another. They have always been a minority, but the idea goes back to at least 300 AD I think, and has always been a small part of Christian thought.

My denomination sort of splits the difference, and we assume that if you don't get Life Everlasting you die the final death. Torture for eternity is just too petty to believe in, compared to total destruction of the soul.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think they believe that if you're bad the price you pay is that will be the end of you, there will be no chance for a future existence

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.