what does the saying after me the flood means?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"Apres moi le deluge" (Fr.), after me the deluge (attributed to Louis XV)

From wiki:

<< Louis XV (February 15, 1710 – May 10, 1774), ruled as King of France and Navarre from 1715 until his death. Unexpectedly surviving the death of his entire family, he enjoyed a favourable reputation at the beginning of his reign. However, in time, his inability to reform the French monarchy, his lack of morals, and his foreign policy on the European stage lost him the support of his people, and he died as one of the most unpopular kings of France....

Ultimately, Louis XV failed to overcome [serious] fiscal problems, mainly because he was incapable of putting together conflicting parties and interests in his entourage. At Versailles, the king and the nobility surrounding him showed signs of boredom, signalling a monarchy in steady decline. Worse, Louis seemed to be aware of the forces of anti-monarchism threatening his family's rule and yet failed to do anything to stop them. Popular legend holds that Louis predicted, "After me, the deluge" ("Après moi, le déluge"). In fact this quotation is more precisely attributed to Madame de Pompadour, although it is not certain that even she ever said it.

>>

In other words, after me, who cares what happens to France?

Why should I bother with the burdens of rulership? If the place goes to hell after I'm gone, so be it.

The French Revolution began in 1789, a mere 15 years after his death.

• 4 years ago

After Me Comes The Flood

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what does the saying after me the flood means?

Source(s): flood means: https://biturl.im/A7boc
  • 1 decade ago

Its kind of like after the damage is done . You have to see plan for what do after it since theres a calm in the world.

Its like at the end of a movie after a big battle where the enemys dead the the heros being kissed by the lovely girl he fought to retrieve.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

As noted above, attributed to Louis XV regime in France. In brief, it's usually interpreted as a cynical comment meaning that, after I leave the scene (apres moi) the world can go to hell (le deluge), and it really doesn't matter to me. Think George W. Bush and Dick Cheney.

• 5 years ago

I believe it means "after my imperfect rule, where law and order is maintained, will come the chaos of anarchy". Think Iraq after the removal of Sadam Hussein.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

It is more of a feeling of desperation leading to passiveness after knowing the plausible outcome of an event to happen. Analogous to "come what may."

• Tammy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

It means you had a dream.

• 4 years ago

It means.......after I'm dead, who giver a rats tuckus what happens, I'm dead.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the flood is after you that nasty parasite

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.