Organic food vs ordinary?

Is organic food worth the money? Is there some evidence that it really does not contain any chemicals in it?

Every week I spend about £120 ($240) on food, most of which is organic. Before when I was not into the oragnic stuff I used to spend max 70£.

I am just wondering is it worth it?

What do you prefer organic/non organic?

Favorite Answer

Organic food production does not allow synthetic chemical pesticides. They do allow pesticides, but what is permitted is regulated.

Now here is the interesting thing. Because the food is grown in nutrient rich soil, the plants are healthier. Healthy plants are more resistant to bugs and disease. Therefore heavy chemical pesticides and fertilizers aren't even needed.

And since the plants are grown in nutrient rich soil, they too are nutrient rich. A direct benefit to your health. The greatest nutritional value of food would be in that food with the least processing. This is also true of organic processed food. It is still processed. Sure what is allowed as an ingredient offers you protection, but non the less, the least processing is best.

To save money on your organics you could shop at a farmer's market. Also limiting the amount of processed organic food may well prove to be a significant savings in your pocket book.

I prefer organic because I have noticed I am satisfied with less food and I feel healthier. Probably because of the high nutrient content.

In the store where I shop, organic foods are way overpriced. I'm not talking about pennies either. But I did try some produce and could not tell any difference in taste. Besides which, I always wash produce before I eat it and I know for sure that my tap water has chemicals in it so I would be defeating the purpose of the organic component anyway.

• Aurora

I prefer organic, but I refuse to buy anything that I think is overpriced. I shop with common sense and if I don't buy organic then I always go for the best fresh food I can afford.

Having said that, then I never buy ready meals. You can make good, tasty and nourishing meals quickly enough. Also I think some organic in your diet is better than none.

Personally, organic doesn't 'fit' in our family. We have been trying a box scheme for veggies and fruit and it's simply not cost effective anymore. Is it any better for us? it probably is, but it doesn't seem to make it to the weekend without going off a bit (we get it on wednesday).

However, I am more than happy to buy locally produced goods and pay the farmer a couple of miles away a small premium, than rip them off, (the farmers), indirectly by buying from enormo-supermarket chains who pay them too little.

Organic food is absolutely worth the money, try eating a chicken that is organic then eat one that is not, you will see the difference.

Organic everytime - especially meat and eggs.

Well worth the extra pennies.

• Billy

Organic all the way! All our food should be organic AND it should be affordable... in an ideal world eh!

i would like to buy organic, but i'm not prepared to pay £50 a week more for it

Organic every time,,,

Eat regular. Organic food is for pansies.