Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesLos Angeles · 1 decade ago

Los Angeles/ Beverly Hills Trip Questions?

Hello All, my father and I are going on a trip to Los Angeles on August 8 through the 12 of 2008. I really want to get the full experience! We are going to be driving a BMW Z4!! Is there any part of town that I should stay away from?? Oh yeah by the way we are staying in the Custom Hotel. Where can I see the stars(reasturants, shops,ect.)?? My favorite celebrities are the Beckhams so if i dont get to do anything else I want to see thir house, does anybody know where it is?? Also I want to see the playboy mansion does anybody know where that is??? I somebody would be so kind to make me an itinerary of all this that would be great!! here is what i want to do...

-Universal Studios Hollywood

-Go see the Beckhams house and the Playboy Mansion

-Go to the beach

-Hollywood sights

-hollywood shopping

If someone could make me an itinerary of all of this that would be great. Oh yeah my starting location like on mapquest would be the address of the custom hotel.THANKS!

Favorite Answer

Welcome to LA!

If you stick to the places below, you should be fine. The most notorious parts of town are Compton and East Los Angeles. There's little chance of you "stumbling" into those areas. Just ask directions or use Yahoo Maps.

As for the celebs, you might be able to see some shopping in Malibu, or at any one of Gelson's Markets.

Most celebrities, especially the "A" listers, protect their privacy. They rarely go out in public unless it is an event they are appearing. Occasionally one can be seen, but not often.

If you do happen to see one out in public, the proper etiquette is to leave them alone. Don't scream, gush, ask for an autograph, or try to talk to them. Some are nice about it, but you could find yourself quickly removed from the premesis. Most often, they can be spotted dining out, shopping, or doing other mundane things. Many times, they are “dressed down”, wearing jeans, tees, sunglasses, and a hat. If you want to try spotting one, try these spots:

Gelson’s Market, Pink’s Hot Dogs, Canter’s Deli, Spago, The Ivey

Don’t try to get into one of the nightclubs they hang out in. You’ll never get past the velvet rope unless you have a few Benjamins to throw at the doorman. But if you had that kind of dough, I doubt you would be hanging around this forum.

As for the Beckham home, it's in the hills above Beverly Hills where the tours aren't allowed. You can't get in there. You can see the Playboy Mansion on the Hollywood Tour, check out starlinetours.com.

There are literally hundreds of things to do here in LA. Here is my top ten list:

Disneyland: The Happiest Place on Earth. Half a billion visitors can’t be wrong. (Sometimes it seems all at once)

Universal Studios: A theme park that grew out of a studio tour. Check out eBay. You can find some discounted tickets there. And Universal City Walk is a fun place to hang out in the evening after your day inside the park.

Hollywood: Hollywood Boulevard is ready for its close-up, thanks to years of urban renewal and renovation. Enjoy the Walk of Fame, Entertainment Museum, Mann's Theatre and more. You can see a lot for free. I have also added the Hollywood & Highland complex to my top ten list… it has lots of shops and restaurants, and the Kodak Theater (home of the Academy Awards). I like the El Capitan theater, because it has been restored to its former glory, unlike the Chinese, which was essentially gutted and turned into a multiplex.

Rodeo Drive, 90210: Packed with exclusive shops, full of gawkers. They all came to enjoy the excess. Free, unless you intend to buy something.

Venice Beach: Los Angeles kitsch and over-the-top culture at its best.

Here you'll find Muscle Beach, street performers and tacky shops galore.

Fun, VERY interesting, but I avoid it after dark, when it gets a little TOO interesting for my taste. And it's a short bike ride from:

Santa Monica Beach and Pier: Great beach scene and a classic seaside amusement park, complete with antique carousel that has been in a lot of TV and movies. (The Sting and "Three's Company" come immediately to mind).

After visiting the pier, you can ride a bike south a couple miles to Venice Beach.

Santa Monica Third Street Promenade - Downtown Santa Monica's shopping promenade is often the scene of movie star-sightings. Just a short walk from the Santa Monica Pier.

Sunset Boulevard: Perhaps one of the world's most famous streets, it began as a route between the stars' posh neighborhoods and the Hollywood studios. It runs from downtown to the ocean, passing through the "Sunset Strip" on its way. It makes for a fun drive. Along the way, you see a lot of different neighborhoods. Hollywood, West Hollywood, Bel Air, and Pacific Palisades. When you get to the ocean, stop at Gladstone's for Fish.

Queen Mary: Once the largest ship afloat, she's been docked in Long Beach for longer than she sailed, and her elegance never fails to impress. Free to visit. You can actually stay on board, for a price.

Farmers Market and The Grove - A new shopping complex right next to a Los Angeles landmark, The Grove and Farmers Market coexist. Enjoy a movie or shopping, then take the trolley to the Farmers Market for lunch or dinner.

Farmer's Market is right next to CBS, so walk across the lot to see if they are taping "The Price is Right". You might even get in.

Griffith Park - Home of the Los Angeles Zoo, Griffith Park Observatory, Travel Town, the Greek Theatre, and Gene Autry Museum of Western Heritage.

Getty Museum - The Getty's architecture is so beautiful that it keeps me fascinated. No matter whether you like their art or architecture better (or maybe you'll just enjoy the view), the Getty is sure to please. Free.

Attend a TV taping - You can get free tickets at audiencesunlimited.com, or see the booth at Universal City walk. It's very interesting to see a show being taped. The most popular, by far, is the tonight show. Check the NBC web site for all the details there.

Places to eat:

In-N-Out Burger: Multiple locations, best burger in LA, ask anyone.

Pink’s Hot Dogs: 709 N. La Brea, just north of Melrose. Might see a celebrity.

Tommy’s Chili Burgers: Look for the shack, an LA tradition. Original location at Beverly & Rampart, a couple miles west of downtown.

Canter’s Deli: 419 N. Fairfax, between Beverly & Melrose. Near CBS, might spot a celebrity.

Phillippe’s: 1001 N. Alameda. Great roast beef sandwiches. Near Union Station, Olvera Street. Watch the mustard, it’s hot.

Places to Stay:

In Hollywood, I recommend the Renaissance Hotel at Hollywood and Highland, the Best Western Sunset Plaza, or the Hollywood Roosevelt.

In Anaheim, I recommend the HoJo Anaheim, and the Candy Cane Inn. If you want to splurge and make this a most memorable trip, stay at Disney’s Grand Californian. You get the full Disney experience. If you don't need to stay by the park, then stay at the Doubletree on Harbor, or even the one in Orange on Chapman.

In Santa Monica, the Holiday Inn Santa Monica is close to the pier and reasonably priced.

Places to Shop:

South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa

Fashion Island, Newport Beach

Third Street Promenade, Santa Monica

Citadel Outlets, Commerce

Beverly Center, Los Angeles

The Block at Orange, Orange

Ontario Mills, Ontario

This sounds like a really fun trip you have planned. If you take the Hollywood tour of the movie stars home you see the playboy mansion as part of the deal. You might want to get a map of the movie stars homes. Most of the stars I have seen out and about have been at Gelsons and whole food. I saw Goldie Hawn eating at the Paradise cove. I was a a stop light nest to Rod Stewart.

Talk to the hotel Concierge and arrange a tour. The tour guide dish all the dirt and it is a lot of fun.

The best place to see the Beckhams is the VD clinic in South OC. I see them there all the time. In fact, Victoria has a major case of the herpes right now. Or you can just go to the Home Depot Center in carson to see the Galaxy play. But you probably don't want to drive your BMW into Carson. So i guess your best bet is the Anonymous VD Clinic in Laguna Hills.