What are the death rates and epidemics of the disease Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever?

What are the death rates and epidemics of the disease Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever?

I need this information for my science research && i cant find it anywhere.

SO please help me. I appreciate it a lot!

Thanks.

:)

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Frequency

United States

RMSF is the most frequent cause of fatal tick-borne disease in the United States. Anyone bitten by an infected dog tick and on whom the infected tick remains for several hours can get RMSF. In spite of its name, RMSF is more common in the southeastern US tick belt than in the Rocky Mountain region. The disease is more common in rural and suburban locations; however, it does occur in urban areas such as New York City.

The regions with the highest incidences include the Southeast, the western South Central region (including Oklahoma and northern Texas), and selected areas of the Northeast (Cape Cod and Long Island). Most cases are reported from eastern and central states, such as North and South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma. The 2 states with the highest incidence are North Carolina and Oklahoma. Cases have been reported in 48 states, with Vermont and Hawaii being the exceptions. In the northern United States, infections commonly occur in the spring; in the South, cases may occur in any month, including winter months.

From 1989-1996, more than 4700 cases were reported in 46 states. Of these reported cases, 90% occurred between April and September. More than 1400 cases were reported in 2004.

A prospective study of RMSF infection in residents of a known endemic area in North Carolina suggests an annual incidence in children aged 5-9 years of 42 cases per 100,000 population.

International

Canada, Mexico, and Central and South America, particularly Panama, Columbia, Argentina, Costa Rica, Bolivia, and Brazil have reported cases of RMSF. Serologic evidence of RMSF has been found in 6 Brazilian states ranging from Rio Grande de Sol in the south to Bahia in the north. In Brazil, RMSF was unrecognized or unreported for decades in regions such as Espiritu Santo. In southern Brazil, the disease is more common from October to February, but in the tropics, seasonal variation is less striking.

Mortality/Morbidity

The mortality rate in untreated cases is 20-25%. The mortality rate for patients treated with appropriate antibiotic therapy is 5%. In a 1994 study, the odds of dying from RMSF were more than 5 times greater for patients who did not receive antirickettsial therapy by the fifth day of their illness compared to those treated earlier.

In elderly patients who are not treated, the mortality rate can be as high as 70%. The mortality rate is less than 20% in untreated children. RMSF tends to be more severe in individuals with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency.

The diverse clinical features of RMSF lead clinicians to confuse it with many community-acquired infections. This delays proper therapy and contributes to higher mortality.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.