Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 decade ago

Please help me interpret this quote by Mark Twain " Don't ever take a fence down unless you know why it was up

Thank you !!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i think mark twain was trying to say that you should learn what really is going on before you make a choice. if you do not know the reason why something is the way it is, you should learn why. the reason might be extremely justified. Rationality overrule rashness.

ex. there is a dog that is known to bite is on a leash that is tied down. someone who isn't following this quote might set the dog free because they feel that it is wrong to chain up the dog. however someone who thinks, will eventually find out that the dog is dangerous and will not let the dog off its leash.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The first answer took mine so I will go a little out on a limb and say that Mark Twain was talking about how it is easier to destroy than to create, so ponder all possible consequences of destroying something before acting.

• 1 decade ago

Don't attempt to change, or get around a boundary (rule), unless you know why it was established.

For example, if as a child you were not allowed to leave the boundaries of the yard, do not attempt to break that rule, unless you know the reasoning behind it. For all you know, your father was attacked by a stranger outside of his yard.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Put simply it pretty much means don't do something youve done before and has ended badly.

For example, in terms of a relationship, you could have been with someone before and the relationship ends badly and you are considering being with them again, you should consider what happened in the past relationship.

hope that helps. :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Don't change things without knowing the reason for its existence in the first place.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

don't ever break a rule unless you know why it was made for instance

we cant chew gum at school and no one knows why so we just follow it

• 1 decade ago

It means don't try and break a rule unless you know why that rule is there.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i think it means that most things are there for a reason and you should understand that reason before you disagree with

• 1 decade ago

everything has a specific purpose. if you don't understand what it is for, then either find out, or leave it be.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.