Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Since the Bible is supposedly the inerrant word of God?

Then how are the countless contradictions and scientific/historical errors, etc explained away? Is God to blame for being ignorant/unintelligent or is it the human writers? Not to mention, the fact that the Bible has gone through many translations where words and phrases don't work in one language where they do in another, or that the contents were decided upon (many rejected) by human men with their own agenda. Who is to blame for that and how can it be inerrant in that case? If God did write all of it, wouldn't the person who rejected certain books be struck down by lightning (like everyone else in the Bible) for taking away from what was already written? Jesus even says in Revelation "Anyone who adds to or takes away from (the word of God), so shall his name be removed from the Book of Life." That there says those people won't be going to heaven.

Erin C, yes I have read the Bible from cover to cover many times because I was raised Christian and sent to Christian schools. I am not the only one who has found these contradictions. The list is just too long to post.

Genesis has two completely different creation stories. Job describes birds and bats as being the same thing which science disagrees with. Ancient Romans and Egyptians were meticulous recordkeepers, yet there is no record of plagues, a mass group leaving Egypt, or anyone fitting Jesus's description creating havoc in Jerusalem, or even a census around the time of Jesus's birth. According to archaeologists, towns such as Jericho and Nazareth were not occupied at the time that Bible claims they were. Unless the Earth is flat, it is impossible for anyone to see the four corners of the world from any vantage point, as the Bible claims that Satan showed to Jesus from a high mountain.

As far as words that have been mistranslated, KJV says "do not suffer a witch to live" while modern translations say "poisoner" instead. The word used in the Greek text is pharmacia which not the equivalent of a witch.

Another is "virgin" (someone never having had sex) vs "young woman" in regards to Mary.

Favorite Answer

May I just sit back and see if the fundies will answer your thoughtful question? (The answer, of course, is that no "god", or his word, could be represented by a ludicrous embarrassment like the holey bible.)

So you've read the Bible then? And you can tell me where these contradictions are? Because I have read the Bible from start to finish several times and have yet to find one contradiction.

Being Christian and going to Christian school doesn't mean you have read the Bible. Even listening to verses in church doesn't have meaning until you have read the whole thing beginning to end. I am pretty sure in Christian schools (or at least the ones I have been associated with) they teach prophecy, as well as different versions of the Bible including the original Greek. If so, you have learned the history behind these verses and know fully what they mean, and you know that limited education is not to blame for some misnaming of flying creatures. The latest archaeological studies that I have read about have found indeed Jericho and Nazareth were around long before Jesus was born, and remained long after Jesus was crucified. After all, we no longer refer to the Middle East as Mesopotamia, but at one time the area was known by that name. Just because the names of some cities or areas are different doesn't disprove the Bible to me. Maybe it's because of higher education and study in this area, but with an education (as many claim that Christians are uneducated) I still can find no contradictions in the Bible. If you do not understand what you are reading, I can see where some passages could be misconstrued. Why don't you email me your list of contradictions and let's see if we can't figure them out.

Source(s): Virgin - "...having never known a man." Read Luke 1:26-38. 4 corners of the Earth being North, South, East, and West. We know the Earth is round, but if we were to describe direction, there are still four main directions.

Men have tried for thousands of years, but have never proved a single contradiction.

Most who try are not truly interested to see if there are any logical explanations. Instead they want to find flaws because they don't want to submit to the Biblical teachings.

If there is any logical way a scripture could be true, than no one can say there is a proven flaw in the Bible, but many want to discard any possible way it can be explained.

Again, no conflict has ever been proven in the Bible even though there have been some people trying for thousands of years!

---- Edit -----

The "contradictions" you have listed are the same old ones that have been tried many times before!

Differences between Genesis 1 and 2 are not contradictions, but they are the same thing described in two different ways. Genesis 1 is chronological; Genesis 2 is not.

The Bible never tries to be a science book, therefore, it may not categorize things in the same way as modern day science. The Bible, for example, does list bats with birds, but the Bible tends to list all flying animals as birds. This is not trying to categorize them based on species, but on the fact that they fly. Also the "scientific" categories were probably decided upon (by men) AFTER this was written in the Bible.

Many people call wahles "fish". Scientifically, whales are not categorized as fish, but most people who refer to them as fish anyway are not trying to be scientific. (Whales swim and look like fish, therefore, many people call them fish.)

The Bible is a book about serving God, not a book of modern science, therefore some of the terms in the Bible may not match scientific terms that were established, or even changed, AFTER the Bible was written! Just because what the Bible calls something and what a man (or group of men, whether they be scientists, or whoever) call something is not the same, that does not mean there is a contradiction in the Bible.

As far as that goes, there is often a contradiction between the Bible and things men decide.

But, as you have said, there is not enough room for you to list all of the alleged discrepancies in the Bible, and there is definately not enough room for me to respond to all of them (since it takes less words to list an issue that it does to discuss it)!

Look at the link I have provided. This web-site discusses all of the suposed "contradictions" you have listed and more.

The Bible is a very spiritual book, the Word of God, living and active, more powerful than any double-edged sword - even the fundamentalist Christians don't understand that....

...it is not some dry, legalistic textbook - only men and women filled with the Spirit of God should interpret His word. Without His Spirit on your heart, the Bible may seem confusing, contradictory, chaotic. It is exactly how Jesus taught so that "seeing they may not see and hearing they may not hear" because He wanted only the meek and humble and faithful to understand the gospel message.

In the end then, the Bible is really more of a parable for the saved; instead of a textbook for the damned.

Most any modern translation (NASB,NIV,NKJ,ESV,HCSB, ans so on) agrees completely with the thousands of ancient manuscripts we have today. Of all manuscripts there is only about 1 1/2 % textual variance total. Almost all of that variance is in the spelling of names and places. All variations are known, and their location is cataloged-and understood.

The Bible has not been changed. You may find much older English translations that have words in them that are no longer used. But any new word used to replace it with is compatible with the meaning of the old.

No scientific or historical errors have yet been found. If you think so-then maybe you could list them?

Excellent question. Psalm 82 and John 10 tell us that we are Gods.

Aside from the Mormons, NO ONE agrees with these scriptures.

Well, either the Mormons are right, or the Bible is fallable.

I haven't seen a single contradiction in the Bible. I have seen what can be attributed to transcription errors. I have seen no historical errors.

So far you don't seem to be doing a good job of proving the Bible wrong.

I'm amazed how people who claim there are countless contradctions in the Bible can't come up with one to present as an example. Because when they do it shows how misinformed they really are.

Name one.

Another one who does not read in depth. When you step on a scale and say oh my god i weigh a ton, you don't mean you weigh 2 thousand pounds does it?

i've seen the BIG list of contradictions...they can all be refuted...

esp. if you sit down with more than one "well learned" christian

both armed with the KJV bible and a good dictionary.

the bible is 100% correct...