Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Theist, should any religious or spiritual text be read like a book or novel?

Why or why not? How should you read a religious or spiritual text?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Not like a book for entertainment. Neither like a history book. Nor like a book of science...

But with an intellectual curiousity an earnest desire for contemplating profound truths.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Since most religious texts are a collection of theological, historical, and legal stories, they can be very tough for the layman (even if it is his religion) to read and understand. Many of these religions rely on professional teachers (eg: priests) and scholars (eg: monks) to pass on the teachings and traditions of that religion.

Though the religious books can be simply read cover to cover, anyone serious about learning the deeper details of a religious text has to study the context (history) and language of the book. If possible they might have access to personal writings or critiques by both insiders and outsiders to help their understanding along.

Finally, if were able to assemble all these different ideas together, they might add to the text or write a book of their own.

Many religious texts are made up of lots and lots of smaller books that were edited and gathered into one (or several) tomes.

Source(s): Non-Abrahamic Theist
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Since The Bible is a multitude of different books on different subjects, each book in It should be read and interpreted as such. The problem with people is that they think of The Bible as a fiction novel because all these books have been condensed into one big one and we have failed up until today to properly interpret some of these books. Never the less, Yahweh wrote The Bible as His instruction manual based on His scientific knowledge for the human race to follow to survive on Earth.

• 1 decade ago

One could approach it in that way. I see nothing wrong with trying to look at sacred texts through "new eyes", so to speak. But customarily, people read sacred texts for the purpose of gleaning spiritual direction and enlightenment from them, which is certainly different from sitting down and reading, say, "Wuthering Heights".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

hey I haven't any situation reading texts of any faith. I even have examine Hindu/Islam and christian religious texts....nevertheless attempting to verify and understand extra as i believe i discover some new interesting element each timee i examine those religious texts....which i could hv ignored till now...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Um...like stereo instructions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.