Ron B asked in SportsBoxing · 1 decade ago

Thoughts on the Paul Williams vs. Carlos Quintana from last Saturday?

Quintana did a masterful job in getting over and around Williams' wing span, looked like quite a mismatch, hats off to Quintana.

Best Answer

I was very shocked with the result, and its definately the early candidate for "upset of the year." Williams was seen as possibly Mayweather's biggest threat aside from Cotto, and Quintana just went in there and handled him. Plus, you have to remember the way Quintana was crushed against Cotto from a bodyshot, regardless of how the scoring was, which makes his victory over Williams that much more surprising. Quintana earned that victory and hopefully it will propel him into even bigger fights.

I guess size doesn't matter that much in boxing after all. Physically Williams looks like he should dominate the welterweight division, but Quintana had other ideas. My hat is off to Carlos Quintana, it was a great victory for him and he earned the respect of the boxing world with his performance. As for Paul Williams, another in the long line of stories boxing has always been famous for. Great potential, never realized. The next fight for Paul Williams is huge, he must show the Quintana loss as a fluke or risk further loss of status. A couple losses in today's boxing world, and you are a memory.

Quintana fought a great fight and proved he is one of the elite welterweights. everyone likes to say that Cotto crushed Quintana. The fight was relatively even ( either 2-2, or 3-1 Cotto) going into the fifth. Quintana actually hurt Cotto with a hard bodyshot in the 3rd or 4th ( cant remember exactly ). Cotto switched to southpaw in the 5th and threw Quintana off. Cotto hit Quintana with a nasty bodyshot right to the liver that would have downed ANYONE in the weight class includind Floyd. When you get hit in the liver like that your body basically goes into a shock-like state for a short period of time. Quintana beat the count but could not continue. Stupidly enough, Quintana's corner wanted him to go out for the 6th but Quintana smartly said no mas. If he would have went out for the 6th in that condition his career may have ended that night.

Many times boxing comes down to one or a couple of punches, like in this fight. Rahman was not better than Lennox because he landed one great knock out punch. Neither was Buster better than Iron Mike.

This fight was not the blowout that people are now saying it was. Go back to the recap right after the fight and you will see everyone saying it was a good exciting fight and Quintana was "game" meaning he came to fight not run from Cotto.

If you didnt see the fight than don't assume 5th round knockout means someone got crushed.

By the way, how do I know-- because I was ringside right next to Bob Arum for this one baby.

I was'nt impressed by Williams. Maybe he just had a bad night, but he was just too easy to hit. Luckily for him Quintana is not necessarily a heavy puncher.

No disrespect to Quintana. He fought his heart out and deserve all the credit but I think Williams lost the fight not because of what Quitnana did but because of what William's didn't do.

Paul Williams fought like a bum.They want a fight between this guy and Floyde. He's not Maywether equal he will be destroyed. They have him very overrated but I wasn't impressed at all. I have followed Boxing over 20 years when there were some guys that are considered legends today.

there has been worse judgements in the previous the Paul Williams vs. Erislandy Lara combat and there'll be worst ones after, it isn't any longer even on the element of the worst huge casted decision and nonetheless i'm no longer asserting that it grew to become into stable the two.....

i cant believe it. it was a good fight, quintana having a disadvantage with williams being so much bigger than him and he pulled it off.

• Cary C

Yeah, it was a great fight