Jezzy asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 1 decade ago

How would Walt Whitman write a valentine?

For my English class, I have to pretend I'm Walt Whitman and write a valentine to my ideal reader. Well, I don't understand his writing style or what his "ideal reader" would be like. Can someone who knows his work better than me just give me a line or two of what he would probably write as an example? Or even just tell me what sort of style he uses? Thank you.

It doesn't have to be a poem. Just a letter.

Favorite Answer

Whitman was great about list upon list

I see your pearly white teeth, your blue eyes blazing in the twilight, your hair swirling in the breeze.

Those are maybe a little too corny, but he would go on and on about a subject.

He also loved talking about Democracy. He may very well relate to Valentines day, but that may be a sarcastic stretch.

Read SONG OF MYSELF or part of the excerpt, see link below. He writes in free verse, no rhymes or even rhythm. It is a very free and unrestrained style.

Welllll....considering whom his 'ideal' reader is likely to be...

"The trees, growing straight and tall, bring you to my mind. sturdy in graceful strength, withstanding the winds of time...

I sit in your shadow, amazed by the tender essence of your branches..."

How is that? if it works you may _borrow it_ not claim it as yours, ok? It is written down and signed by me.

You do understand this allusion don't you?