Information on veterinary pharmaceuticals industry?

I work for a marketing firm and I got this e-mail from a client:

In your spare time, I need to know how big the Animal Health Industry is in the USA and in Europe.

We currently work with [omitted] in Switzerland. I asked about their market size, they consider themselves a medium size player. I would love to be able to ground truth this.

Any information on industry size and leaders would be helpful in determining how quickly we move.

So...... I would love to find some info online about the animal health/animal pharma industries. All I can find are reports that cost $2000+. I want to know who the major players are and the state of the industry. HELP HELP HELP! Thanks so much!

Best Answer

By species, the companion animal sector is a US$4,165 million market, and is a 36.8% share of global animal pharmaceutical sales.

In the past five years, various issues in animal agriculture such as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), the growing preference for poultry meat and pork, which require fewer animal health inputs, has compounded problems in the food animal sector, reducing its growth to only 0.7 per cent per annum in real terms

However, one species sector has shown robust growth within this market: companion animals. Since 1991, the companion animal market has grown at 6.6 per cent per annum in real terms, which almost matches human health care.

http://www.bioportfolio.com/cgi-bin/acatalog/The_G...

The world animal health market was worth US$17.4 billion in 2005. A report by ResearchandMarkets provides an overview of the global market in terms of structure and recent growth, and examines in detail 15 national markets which, together, generate some 85% of sales in the sector. The US is the dominant market in the sector, generating 36% of the entire global total. No other national market is responsible for a share of more than 7%. Looking forward, the US is estimated to be responsible for 40% of global market growth, and will reach a value of US$8 billion by 2010. China will cement its position as the worlds second largest market for animal health products, while Brazil will replace France as the sectors third biggest market.

The world market for animal health products was worth US$17.4 billion in 2005. The objective of this report is to provide an overview of the global market in terms of structure and recent growth, and to examine in more detail 15 national markets which, together, generate some 85% of sales in the sector.

The sales of animal health products in the European Unions 27 member countries are worth more than €4 billion, and are responsible for well over a quarter of global market value. As such, the region is a key target for all major companies operating in the veterinary sector.

http://www.cababstractsplus.org/veterinarymedicine...

I hope that helps :)

For vet pharmaceutical companies the big players are Pfizer, Fort dodge, Bayer, Merial, Boehringer-Ingelheim, Schering-Plough, Intervet, Novartis, IDEXX are the major players. As for the state of the industry I don't really know...

Source(s): Vet student