Can I use an oval, ceramic casserole dish to bake a cake in?

I am baking a cake for my baby shower in the shape of a bath tub and the only dish I have that is the right shape is a ceramic casserole dish. Will this work?

Favorite Answer

Yes, just be sure to put parchment paper in the bottom so you can take it out easier. Grease and flour the sides of the dish and the top of the parchment paper liberally.

Ceramic Baking Dish

• Tara

People nowadays have NO idea what a TRUE dutch oven is. It is a large cast iron pot with short legs on it so it can set in the coals of a fire and a a lid that is inverted, meaning it looks like it is upside down. That is so that the people using it could set it in the coals and scoop coals onto the top of the pot and thus make an 'oven' out of the pot. You don't find them anymore hardly ( I found one at HARBOR FREIGHT in two different sizes and got me one. I live in the country and often cook on my wood cook stove, and sometimes over a campfire, which is what they were intended for. ) Nowadays, what people call a 'dutch oven' is simply a large cook pot with a rounded lid with a handle on top of it. But what you have sounds like a really great casserole dish!! Maybe you could replace the handle with a Ceramic one from a hardware store? Or find the manufacturer and get a replacement handle.

Yeah should work great. Just keep an eye open when you are pouring to make sure you don't over fill.

***A good tip to make sure it doesn't stick to the edges is to use parchment or wax paper. Cut the parchment paper about 1/4 of an inch bigger then your baking dish. Grease the bottom, and edges of the pan. Place the paper in the pan and press into the edges. Grease the paper too. Continue on as usual.

The answer is yes, you'll still get a cake baked. Just make sure to oil it well; most baking tins and like are designed to make it easier to get the cake out of the pan without damage.

it should work fine, I've used corning casserole dishes before.