hearts card game tips?

i suck at this game and i need tips on ways to avoid the queen and stuff like that so could you people please help me?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

One of my favorite strategies to playing this game is on the initial passing of the cards, get rid of all the clubs you have in your hand (or at least as many as possible). This gives you a distinct advantage because if you have the King or Ace of Spades, you can get rid of it in the first trick if you run out of cards.

Elimininating all your spades or hearts in the initial pass is a bad move because you could end up getting all high-level cards that make it extremely tough to avoid getting points. I mean there's a small chance you might get off scot-free, but the odds are against you if you do this.

Slip in your high-level hearts cards either when you want to break hearts for this round, or if the lead card is not a heart.

In fact, the best thing to do is get rid of all your high-level cards, especially if you can avoid leading on a trick. Slip them in when the lead card is not the suit as your high level card (I.E. throw in a Ace of Diamonds when the person leads the trick with a four of clubs.)

"Shooting the Moon" (Getting all of the hearts AND the Queen of Spades) should not be purposely attempted because it's very easy for an opponent to stop you, even unwittingly.

One last word of advice I can give you too, pay attention to what the highest card in the trick is. If you're stuck playing a heart, and the other card is a seven, nine, jack, etc., play the next-lowest card to the highest rank of the trick to get rid of some trouble cards. (I.E. If the highest is a queen of hearts, put in your jack of hearts or ten of hearts).

Hope this helps you win big!

Source(s): I'm a long-time hearts player who has the accomplishment of a perfect game under my belt!
  • 6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

hearts card game tips?

i suck at this game and i need tips on ways to avoid the queen and stuff like that so could you people please help me?

Source(s): hearts card game tips: https://biturl.im/BJ62Q
  • 1 decade ago

My favorite move it to try to void a suit. For example, if I have 2 or 3 diamonds, I will pass those cards and hope I don't get any. Then, when diamonds come up, I can put down the queen or some other really bad card since I don't have any diamonds.

• bigda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Heartscardgame

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Here are some tips for how NOT to win tricks.

Obviously, if you end up short-suited (meaning you have less than 3 of a certain suit – “void” if you have none), you can throw high cards of ANY SUIT onto the trick without fear of winning it. But since everyone is passing cards to each other, it is unlikely that you can COUNT ON ending up short suited. Here are some tips for how to lose tricks when you HAVE to follow suit.

#1 – WIN when there aren’t points in the trick. This is ONLY advisable on the first or possibly second time the suit is played. There is only an 11% chance that someone will BEGIN a hand void in a suit, but there is a 31% chance that someone will end up with only 1 of a suit at the start of the hand. That means that in only 1 out of every 9 hands someone will be void, and the average game lasts 9-12 hands, so it is conceivable that you will not see it happen in a game. Therefore, when you are passing your cards, keep AN Ace or King, but get rid of the secondary high cards, like Queens, Jacks and 10s, and then keep a card less than 5 to lead with. You will be able to win the first trick that is played in that suit and then lead your low card, hopefully drawing out that Jack or Queen you passed to one of your opponents on that second time around. That way, you’ve gotten through two tricks without taking any points. As a rule of thumb, you want to lead for the first half of the hand, and NOT LEAD for the second half of the hand. 80% of the points each hand are won in the last 6 tricks.

#2 – DON’T PASS THE QUEEN!! Unless she is your ONLY spade, don’t pass her. If the Queen of Spades is in YOUR hand, the only suit you can win her in is Spades. That gives you far more playing room than you might think. And if someone passes you the Ace and/or King of Spades, you can play them on Spade tricks without worry, since no one will be able to play the Queen under them. Additionally, if you ever have four or more spades, DO NOT PASS ANY OF THEM. One of three things will happen:

If you DO NOT have the Queen, King or Ace, lead as many Spades as you can in a row. Begin by leading the Jack on down, because it is likely that people will be unwilling to play the King or Ace without knowing where the Queen is, and you will eventually put the people with the Queen, King or Ace in a battle of wits with each other. If you keep winning Spade tricks, you can keep leading Spades.

If you DO have the King and/or Ace, but DO NOT have the Queen, sit back and let others lead Spades. You will be able to dodge the tricks until the Queen is played, and it is unlikely that you will be FORCED to play your King or Ace on her. (remember, this is only if you have four or more Spades)

If you DO have the queen, lead as many Spades as you can, regardless of how many points you are taking (I know, it sounds like a bad strategy, but remember: if you take EVERY OTHER POINT in the hand, you will still not have MORE than the person who takes the Queen of Spades). Eventually, YOU WILL BE THE ONLY ONE WITH SPADES. If the Queen hasn’t been played by this point, NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO LEAD SPADES AND FORCE YOU TO TAKE THE QUEEN!! At that point, there is about a 60% chance that you can CHOOSE which opponent takes the Queen.

#3 – Don’t PASS the Ace of Clubs, and Don’t KEEP the 2 of Clubs. No points can be played on the first trick, which must be a Club trick (since the 2 of Clubs always leads). If you have the Ace of Clubs, it is like TWO free tricks (like in #1). You can win the first trick and then play some low card (or as in #2, start with leading Spades), making it unlikely that you will take many points. The only exception to this rule, is when you have the Ace AND the 2 of Clubs. In that case, pass them both. The player who gets them will be unable to play the Ace on the first trick, leaving it in their hand to win a trick later (hopefully one with points).

#4 – Don’t pass Hearts under 9. Here’s a little trick for you: assuming that the four lowest cards of a suit are played on the first trick of that suit, the 6 will become the lowest of that suit the next time that suit is played. If all four of them ARE NOT played, then the lowest card of that suit in SOMEONE’S hand MUST be 7 or higher. After the second Heart trick, assuming the lowest cards were played each time, the 10 becomes the lowest Heart. The more Hearts you have valued 8 or less, the less likely you will EVER win a Heart trick. All you really need is 2.

#5 – Pass DIAMONDS whenever possible. Statistically speaking, when people pass, they try one of three things: They try to short-suit themselves in Clubs (by passing clubs – this is so they can give up a NON-CLUB card on the first trick that might win them points later, like the Ace or King of Spades), they try to give their opponents high Hearts (by passing high Hearts – this is because if you win a Club trick, there is a minimal chance you will get points, but if you win a Heart trick, you WILL get points, and it is likely that they will come in increments of 4 points), OR they try to give you high Spades (by passing the Ace or King – this is so that you will have to play it on a Spade trick and take the Queen of Spades). There is about a 22% chance that you will get passed Hearts higher than 8, about a 36% chance that you will be passed Clubs (of any value), and about a 18% chance that you will be passed high Spades. There is also about a 28% chance that someone will pass you cards solely so they can void one or more of their suits (3/4 of the time, it WON’T be Diamonds). This means that on average, you have about a 3% chance of getting passed 3 Diamonds, and your odds of getting passed ANY Diamonds actually breaks down to about 14% overall. (Spades – 21%, Hearts – 29%, and Clubs – a whopping 36%). It is likely that you will be able to void Diamonds if you don’t have another passing strategy during a given hand.

#6 – Don’t pass ANY of a suit if you have 5 or more of them. It doesn’t matter what they are, unless 3 or more of them are the highest 3-5 of the suit. The more choices you have when it comes time to play on a trick, the better, and if you have 5 or more of something, you will have less than 3 of something else.

#7 – Take an average of 6 points or less each hand. I know, it’s difficult to judge when you are playing if you are going to take 6 or less points in a hand, but if you break down the point scoring, at 26 points per hand between 4 players, that’s 6 2/3 points per player per hand. If it gets to the third hand, and you have less than 20 points, you can afford to sacrifice one trick and take four points in order to keep from taking more later. (Example: if you have the Jack of Hearts and the 6 of Hearts in your hand, and there is a 2 of Hearts and a 3 of Hearts on the trick, you would play the Jack of Hearts, since there is a chance that the other player will play either the 4 or the 5 of Hearts, making you win the trick regardless of which Heart you play. The difference is, you are winning the trick at a point where you KNOW you will lose the second Heart trick, GUARANTEEING that you will take 4 points instead of 8 (and losing the lead in the process, and leading can be deadly at the end of the hand). Also, sometimes it’s good to take a point (or 4) if it will keep someone else from “Shooting the Moon”.

I hope these tips helped. They should keep your score under 40 each game.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Take the advice Rick has supplied, it is great advice and explianed in easy terms. Top advice.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.