Which car is better... a 2005 Ford Escape (non hybrid) or 2000 Ford Explorer?

I need to purchase one of these cars. Both are from reliable family and both have about 50,000 miles. The Escape (2005) is $12,000 and Explorer (2000) is $5000. I need to know which cars are more reliable, better on gas, etc.

Overall, I think I would prefer the Escape, but wondering if it is worth the extra $7000.

Thanks for the help!

• Favorite Answer

They are both good cars. I would probaly go with the Escape. See if they can bring it down a little more. Escape is real comfortable. Your choice really.

My wife also wants a Ford Escape Hybrid, thus I have been doing a little research myself. We are a family who have been very loyal to both Ford and Honda. (Past: '87 Honda Accord LXi, '96 Ford Mustang GT, '99 Ford Explorer XLT, '00 Honda Accord LX. Currently: '04 Honda Odyssey EXL, and '04 Ford F150 FX4 Super Crew.) I like the looks of the '08 Escape Hybrid, but I hear that the power is somewhat lacking and that the actual MPG is less than advertised. We recently went and looked into the Toyota Highlander Hybrid and like size of the Toyota compared to the Escape (got to be able to fit 2 kids, dog and all our stuff.) Getting the Hybrid would make the environmentalists happier, but I am not quite sure if you would be saving as much money in the long run. Hopefully some of my babbling is helpful, as far as capacity, we are now considering the Honda Accord Hybrid. Would be nice if they would make an Expedition Hybrid... maybe someday. Good luck!

One of our good family friends has driven Ford SUVs and trucks all his life, and currently drives a Ford Excape. Before that one, he owned an Explorer. He is always talking to us about how he wishes he still had his Explorer and saying that if he could trade the cars back he would. His main problem with the Escape is that it, even though it is a bit smaller, gets even worse gas mileage than the Explorer, and he's a very conservative driver. He says both of them ride alright, but overall he enjoyed his Explorer much more thoroughly. Hope this helps you out!

If i was going to choose i would chose the escape i have worked on a few 2000 explorers they are nice but seems like all the ones that i know of from 80000 mile on up the trannys start having promblems hope this guides you a little bit

I'm not a fan of Ford, but I'd say the Escape is better simply because it's newer. It'll be more reliable, last longer and you won't feel the need to get a newer car as soon.

If you don't plan to tow anything and you drive reasonably the Escape is a good little SUV.. It's only weak point is the small CD4E automatic transmission that it uses.

escapes are usually better on gas..plus it will come with a remainder of a 5 year 60000 mile powertrain warranty so it would be more relaible..id go with the escape

Source(s): car salesman

get the Escape if ur looking for gas mileage

or

get the Explorer if ur looking for cargo room

Why do you need to purchase either of them? Pass on both of them. Neither of them are good,and if your worried about gas,there not for you.