Have you ever heard that bottle liners, such as Playtex Drop-ins, leach chemicals into formula?

"Plastic bottle liners: Don’t use them. The soft plastic liners may leach chemicals into formula, especially when heated."

http://www.ewg.org/babysafe

Has anyone ever heard this from any different sources??

I doubt this article is talking about BPA. If it is, this website is completely stupid because BPA is a hard plastic, and the liners are very flexible.

Best Answer

Yes, I have heard this, but can't remember the sources. The liners tell us not to heat them in the microwave, so parents really shouldn't be doing that in the first place. Plastics always manage to leach chemicals. I am not really surprised or fazed, though, because everyone is telling us everything can cause health problems. There's no escaping it.

• joto

Playtex Bottle Liners

• DB

I've only heard of the chemicals leaching into food from heated plastic wraps when something is heated in the microwave. I guess this theory could apply to Playtex plastic liners also. I used the Playtex plastic liners/bottles with both my kids born 87-90. They haven't shown signs of brain damage, or anything abnormal. I wouldn't worry too much since if it is found to be a real problem it would be pulled from the shelves quick! =)

I've heard it a few times on TV, on the odd occasion. As far as i'm aware, yes, plastic DOES leach chemicals into bottles - but in very, very, very small amounts.

They release about 5 to 7 parts of bisphenol A to every billion.

"It's a parent's nightmare. But before you panic, consider this: U.S. and E.U. health and environment authorities still stand behind polycarbonate plastic, putting the safe level of daily bisphenol A exposure at more than 25 times the levels found in baby bottles. (The Canadian agency, Health Canada, is currently reviewing its bisphenol A policy; conclusions are due in May.)"

So yes, the authorities in (well, at least canada) are reviewing it, but these things often take time...

On a note, this includes any plastic that is marked with a '7' or pt.

Surprising what people don't tell you, eh? Do some reasearch, and you'll find plenty of information about it.

Yes, I have heard about bottle liners & plastic bottles & sippy cups that leach chemicals into the liquids.

From what I've read, the products are safe (according to the manufacturers) if you only use 1 of them, but who knows what the cumulative effect is? If BPA is in so many plastic products, your child could be exposed to it from bottles, cups, pacifiers, teethers, etc. - practically all day long.

You can read more at the link below.

• Kerry

I LOVE THEM!! I used Avent bottles for about 8 months and I was sterilizing them everyday and finally I got tired of it so I switched to the playtex. You will need new bottles along with the liners. But they are so worth it, you can push all the air out so there is less air in baby's tummy. And all you have to do is sterilize the nipples and handwash the rest. I found it to be alot easier. I'm pregnant again and I already decided I'm starting this baby on the playtex bottles.

• LeeA

I don't care what snopes says!

The water bottles that sit in your car get hot, and the plastic leaches into your water.

The plastics that go into the microwave leach into the food.

I even stopped using a plastic sip cup to drink my hot tea because of this.

Why take a chance with the little baby's health by using the plastic bottles or liners.

I have never heard this... however after reading the site, it really sounds like a bunch of paranoid people to me. I use the bottle liners (baby is 6 mo old) and so far have had no problems... also my sister used them, all 3 of her kids are fine... I think these issue they talk of are freak occurences that they use to cause a hype.

never heard it.

interesting htough since i use platex drop in s to pump breast milk into.

i think a lot of things are just scare tatics. if there was really that big of a concern, then manufacturers couldnt sell the,m

edit: if you read it, it says about heating in a microwave will release chemicles. i odnt heat any type of plastic in microwaves.

I heard this is true of some baby bottles when a microwave is used to heat milk in them.