Are in-home tattoos safe?

I keep seeing what look to be great artists with wonderful portfolios advertising that they do tattoos in your own home. How can that be in any way sterile or safe? Is this some common practice that I just hadn't heard about until now, or what?

Personally I'd go to a pro at a sterile shop, not have a pro work in my own home...what do you guys think?

Favorite Answer

Home party plan tattooing is for the artist who is not good enough to get into a studio. It is illegal in most localities and people are not smart enough to report them out.

They do stupid things like pouring dip cup water into a sink - think about that next time your little kid drops their toothbrush into the sink.

I have seen enough crap done at home party plans come into our studio for cover ups that I seriously want to hurt these scratchers.

I agree, if a tattoo artist sets up shop with a professionally set up room with hot and cold running water at home with a separate entrance, "public" washroom and waiting room separate from the rest of the house, it is all good.

• Keyo

What you did was cut yourself put mix ink into your blood and cover it up... that is not was a tattoo is about... clean it regulary so u don't get an infection... but eventually the ink will dissapear... and hopefully the scar.... Go to a tattoo artist... even if u knew what you were doing... it's not the same to do your own tattoo than to have an expert do it for you... design it yourself and even though somebody else does it it will still be your tattoo...

Well I'll probably have tons of people disagreeing with me but here it goes........I think tattoos in someones house CAN be safe. It depends on the house itself, how clean the equipment is and whether the artist knows how to keep things sterile and clean. I have had three out my four tattoos done at my house(my husband is a tattoo artist). I have never had ANY problems with them. No infections, no problems WHATSOEVER. And I know that he has also done at LEAST ten other tattoos out of the house as well. No problems with those tattoos either. In fact, some people have come back to have another tattoo done.So for me, I like having them done at home where I am more comfortable, BUT if you don't know the person very well or the house isn't clean I wouldn't do it. It all depends on trust and your safety. If you feel safer going to a pro shop, then go for it! But even some pro shops aren't as clean as my house (lol). My advice is to research as much as you can before choosing who will do it and where you will get it done.

Source(s): My husband has been doing tattoos since the 80s. He has had his own shop two different times and now does the odd tattoo out of the house.

i personally would prefer a shop but i have heard of someone who will travel to do tattoos. he will do tattoos in someones house if and only if they live to far to make it to his shop. he is very reputable and does excellent work, not to mention he has done some tattoos on the rick and famous. so my only explanation can be they live to far from the shop and they will pay enough that the artist will pack up all their equipment and do it in someones house. oh and i would never get a tattoo from someone who tattoos out of THEIR house because if they are any good they should be able to get enough business to rent an actual location.

• Jess

My best friend is a tattoo artist. He's done lots of tatts in my kitchen. As long as the equipment is sterile there's really no difference between doing them in a shop or a house. It's the gun and the needles that matter not the place you're sitting.

well i knew a guy who did 5 of my tattoos in his house. his shop was in his house he didnt like working in big places with many people. and he did a great job. although he forgot to cross the T on my butt for the word naughty but thats my fault i kept squirming and was in a huge hurry (a 3 hour tattoo kinda gets u pissed when u gotta be somewhere in like 20 minutes. lmao) but i wouldnt strongly recommend it. but if he is sterile then yea try it out.

• Patti

Around here, tattoo parties are pretty popular, where an artist goes to a house and does work for a bunch of people. I've never heard any bad thing about them, but I'm with you. I would never get a tattoo on somebody's dirty couch, lol.

my artist's shop is attached of his house.. but it's a totally different part of it.. it's like a built on part or whatever.. i'm horrible at describing things lol.. but it's sterile and set up like any stand alone shop..

i wouldn't get tattooed in someone's actual house or anything though.. like on a couch or bed or whatever.. nor would i want to get tattooed in mine.. that's just strange..

I have a few that were done by my friends, either at my house or theres and i know for a fact they use new needles all the time. I have had no problems with mine.

I don't know. I think I'd prefer the shop.