What does this poem mean? Not Marble, Nor The Gilded Monuments?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
what is this poem talking about and how can you understand it? Not marble, nor the gilded monuments Of princes, shall outlive this powerful rhyme; But you shall shine more bright ...show more
Best Answer
The poem aims to immortalize the subject in verse. The poem is meant to impress the subject with the poet's intent. The poem shall survive longer than any gold-plated statue (gilded monument), that might be erected to a prince, etc. The subject of the poem (probably some winsome beauty that the poet really really wants to shag), will be portrayed in the poem for all time, etc. Further, the ending basically says that she'll be immortalized in the poem until the Day of Judgement (reference Judeo-Christian belief system), and she "rises" from her grave to face said Judgement.

I think it's fun to note that the poet talks about how great the poem is, and how it will immortalize the subject, but - in the end it says absolutely nothing about the subject. There's a great deal of irony there, and it shows the true arrogance of the author, and reveals that his intent is not to please her, or portray her, but merely impress her with the creation of the poem.

Hope that helps.
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (2)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • raydiochick answered 6 years ago
    OK I think it is easier to understand in couplets (2 lines)

No gold statues or idols of princes (royality) shall last as long as this poem
    you shall shine more brightly then the dusty dirty stone(steps/statues)
    War will destroy the statues, and fights break chunks from the base (type thing)
    Mars is the god of war ..he cant get rid of your memory (records)
    Against death and an enemy you r oblivious too
    you shall continue on...your praise still finds room
    Posterity ==long lived (even after you are gone)
    The ppl that wear this world till it ending days
    You live in this poem and those who love it

Thats my best guess....the last line or so i am not positive about but it is an interpretation

Source(s):

myself
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • ari-pup answered 6 years ago
    Of course it is Shakespeare's Sonnet 55.
    The sonnet shares its theme with that of several others, 18, 19, 65, 81, 107, 123, which oppose the power of verse to death and Time's cruel knife, and promise immortality to the beloved. Curiously enough, it does not seem to make any difference that the verse immortalizes the youth without revealing him, for the very fact of immortality seems to confer anonymity. The concluding couplet seems to be entirely satisfying, and we do not need to press further inquiries on the poet and demand to know who it is to whom eternal life is given. It is enough that he lives in lovers' eyes, for they comprehend all mysteries, and perhaps, on the last day, at the ending doom, we will know all the answers anyway, and realize that they were not all that important.

Source(s):

• Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow