Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

The difference between Siberian Husky and Alaskan Husky...?

Can someone please tell me the difference?

Thanks

:]

Favorite Answer

There really is an Alaskan Husky. I know you aren't talking about the Malamute. An Alaskan Husky, like the Siberians and the Mals are a Nordic breed. They are not necessarily a pure breed - often mixed with other breeds - and as such don't have a breed standard or even a same look about them. They are essentially sled dogs, the ultimate sled dog, and as such are bred for speed and endurance. They can be any color. They are usually longer legged and, I guess, maybe a bit leaner looking than a Siberian. They can, like a Siberian, have blue eyes, brown eyes, or one of each. They don't necessarily even have the same coat of a Siberian. They don't always have prick ears - although many do - and the teams of sled dogs you see competing in the Iditarod are very often made up of Alaskan Huskies.

By the way, a Malamute is much bigger than a Siberian (and bigger than an Alaskan Husky), with ears more rounded at the tips, and a broader face. They NEVER have blue eyes, or if they do, it's considered a breed fault. My family has had both Siberians and Mals and I like them both. Both are willful, stubborn, loving dogs with high prey drives. I've never actually met an Alaskan Husky but I understand that they have those same qualities.

Siberian Huskies are a recognized breed. They originate in Siberia and perform many of the same functions as the Alaskan Huskies, such as being a sled dog and helping with the hunt.

Alaskan Huskies are more of a type than a breed. They do not have a recognized registry and have no defined confirmation necessities to be recognized as an Alaskan Husky. While Alaskan Huskies have a lot of similarities to the Siberian Husky, they are not necessarily the same breed. An Alaskan Husky is defined by their abilities as a sled dog.

Basically the Siberian Husky is a breed while the Alaskan husky is a mutt that is great at pulling sleds.

Assuming that you are actually asking the difference between siberian and alaskan huskies and not malamute

Siberian husky is an actual pure breed.

Alaskan Husky is a mixed dog bred specifically for sled racing.

Siberian huskies look more like wolves than Alaskan huskies.

• Anora

There is a Siberian Husky, an Alaskan Malamute, but there is also a Mackenzie River Husky, which is a combination of northern breeds and the wolf in subartic and artic areas in Alaska and Canada , not a breed unto itself, but more of a regional specific northern breed-type. Here are links to all three. I hope this helps you

http://www.akc.org/breeds/siberian_husky/index.cfm

http://www.akc.org/breeds/alaskan_malamute/index.c...

http://www.sleddogcentral.com/mackenzies2.htm

I think the difference is because the Alaskan Huskies actually bark, but the Siberian Huskies make a sound that sounds like a deep barking howl!!! I have heard them and they sound very strange like that!!!

Siberian Huskies are a purebred dog that was bred for work and conformation. They are an actual breed of dog

Alaskan Huskies are a work dog.. there is no specific conformation to them. They have a pull drive and meet certain standards required to survive cold weather, such as a thick coat. They are not a true breed.. just dogs specifically bred for work.

Siberian Husky- purebred- developed in northern Siberia- long distance sledding dog

Alaskan Husky- mixed breed developed for sled racing- often has some hound or pointer mixed in.. I know one musher who bred Border Collie into his lead dogs

Alaskan Malamute- purebred- freighting sled dog. Heavy duty.

• ?

You mean a Siberian Husky and an Alaskan Malamute. Look it up on www.akc.org. The breeds are actually quite different in looks and size, with the husky being quite bigger. Both are bred for pulling but for different types of loads and over different distances.

Siberian Husky have a more slender build, not as heavily built as Alaskan Malamutes.

Also, their snouts tend to be a little more slender, and overall, their smaller than their alaskan cousins, but work just as hard as they do.