Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsTennis · 1 decade ago

Guillermo Coria??

Former Top 10 Guillermo Coria overcame 16 double faults, 12 of which came in the second set, to defeat Italian qualifier Francesco Aldi 6-4, 7-5, in one hour and 57 minutes. He converted eight of 13 break points while saving eight of 14 break points on his serve.

It was the 26-year-old Argentine's first ATP match win since July 21, 2006 when he defeated countryman Agustin Calleri in the quarterfinals of Amersfoort, the Netherlands. He then retired in the semifinals to Novak Djokovic. Since that tournament, Coria had lost in the first round four times in ATP level play. He also exited in the first round three other times in Challenger play. This was his second ATP tournament of the season.

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/costa_tuesd...

-Why was he out for so long to begin with?

-Do you think Coria will have an Impact in the ATP this year? I doubt it

Best Answer

He no longer was able to use his "special" vitamins to help him recover. Once he injured his shoulder he was washed up and serving as bad as Dementieva and Kournikova on their bad days.

He has no game left (hasnt in years) and will have no impact other than to provide fodder for an opponent in a firstround that grants him a wildcard.

No, El Mago "the Magician" is finished. One of the most promising stars has had his career cut short due in part to his injuries and in part to an unethical New Jersey company that markets illegal substances as vitamins.

Coria tested positive for nandrolone in April 2001 and was initially suspended two years. Coria claimed that the only supplement he was taking was a multivitamin made by a NJ supplements company. His family had a private lab test the multivitamin, which found them contaminated with steroids. Subsequently, the ATP reduced his suspension to only the seven months that had already passed. Coria sued the company for more than $10 million in lost prize money and endorsements and settled after the third day of the trial for an undisclosed amount.

He is in high spirits but I can't see him making an impact like he could have.

"Today is the happiest day of my career because after almost 20 months I was able to win a match," said Coria. "I didn't play well but I won and this is the most important thing at the moment. Today it was really hot and at a point I thought I would not be able to finish the match. I called the trainer because I wasn't feeling very well. I feel that I'm playing better each time. In Vina del Mar I played a bit better than today but here I won and there I lost. I have to thank the crowd for supporting me so much. It's great to feel like home playing in another country."

• ?

I think his days are over as a good player, he didn't play a serious tough match for along time, so he lost the sence of the tennis player, I don't think that we'll see a new Guillermo Coria in 2008, I think he'll keep playing and losing in the first round till he's 30, then he'll retire.

He was a good player who gives a run for their money. Unfortunately he was injured and I think it was shoulder problems and if he can repeat his performance of pre-injury

he can make it back to top 10. But he is an amazing clay court

player as well and could back to give a fight to Mr.King of Clay.

I hope he does and that will add a good mixture to Fedex, Nadal

Djokovic, Tsonga and Coria.

As I recall, Guillermo suffered a shoulder injury around 2004 or 2005, and he has never been the same since then. He has spent a lot of time rehabilitating himself, yet the last I read about him, even he has his doubts about making a comeback.

With such self-doubt, it's highly unlikely that he will have any kind of impact on the men's tour.

ha ha yes!!! i was just starting to like coria, but then he left out of nowhere...im so glad hes back, i cant wait! hes only 26?!?!

• suvs

he had an injury and i also think some doping concerns.

he really wont make any impact on the game,he is anyway too old to do something big now.

DOC S is right. I don't know much about GC. I just yahooo'd him and got the same results!..haha "yahooo'd"

He was a good dirtballer