Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 1 decade ago

Breathing techniques for singing?

I'm 14 years old, my voice sucks, I cringe every time I hear it, I have come to terms with the fact that I have no vibrato and never will, but I was just wondering, does anyone have any breathing techniques or any tips AT ALL to improve my voice? I'll do anything, I sing mostly blues music (Janis Joplin, Big Mama Thorton, Bessie Smith, etc.) Any tips at all are greatley appreciated! I desperately want to make my plain bad voice sound better and more pleasing. (If all you want to do is insult me or tell me I shouldn't be singing blues for various reasons, please dont respond, I dont appreciate immaturity).

Best Answer

I also sing so I know how to register a good tone. First of all, almost anyone can sing. The key step here is knowing how to breathe. And you're just three steps away from it.

1. INHALE

- Inhale before you sing. Do this by breathing through you nose and mouth. HOW TO DO: First, put your hand gently on your diaphragm. When you inhale, you should feel your diaphragm expanding (like an air-filled balloon) THE NO-NO: Do not execute this by letting your shoulders rise! You just have to be relaxed and let the air inside your diaphragm.

2. HOLD

- Hold the air comfortably in your diaphragm for at least five seconds. Let the air go smoothly so as not to make your voice shivery. Also remember to use your singing voice, not your speaking voice as your speaking voice is mainly throaty.

3. SING

- Sing the whole lyrical line with tongue resting behind the bottom teeth. Sing comfortably so that it will come out comfortable, not feebly.

SOME EXERCISES:

Try these ones, we usually do this so this will be easy on you.

Get a clock and put it where you can see it. Breathe using the three steps stated above and, following the seconds hand of the clock, start counting. See how long can you hold your breath.

Also, try vocalizing (any note that will be comfortable to you) in the morning as this activates your vocal chords and strengthens them.

Also, try not to drink cold water. use tap water or a mixture of hot and cold water. This also helps.

I have so many things to teach you. I hope these basic steps will help you. Better yet, try signing up for singing classes to further develop your singing.

Remember: practice, practice, practice. :)

Based on your description, assuming you have good intonation, your issue is likely a technical one that's causing your voice to sound strained and unmusical. The fact that you don't have vibrato suggests to me that you're probably holding your solar plexus tight. (The solar plexus is the area that is midway between the bottom of your sternum and your belly button.) If this area is rigid and tight, it will cause you to also hold your throat tight and negate any chance of having vibrato and a pleasing tone. It will also prevent you from having any kind of flexibility and agility in the voice.

What you want to do is take two fingers and push them into your solar plexus a bit. (Maybe around a half inch to an inch.) This area should feel supple and soft. When you breathe in, you feel this area expand outwards against your fingers. It will get a little more firm as it expands outwards, but it should feel rigid and hard as a rock. When you sing, this area should still keep some suppleness. If you do it right, you should find your tone will start to open up and you will start to get hints of vibrato here and there. As you practice it more, everything will occur more consistently.

To see how all of this works, watch as I apply it with my student here. You can hear the difference in the tone when he has the solar plexus tight vs. when it stays more flexible and pliable. (The lesson is broken up into 3 parts.)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE6sSBqFLoy...

If you still have questions, feel free to email me.

http://www.vocalliberation.com/contact

Source(s): I'm a voice teacher

It's very possible to learn to sing well. You just need to know the right methods. Learn here https://tr.im/USY57

Singing teachers will cost money and can be expensive so they're not for everyone. Singing can be learned so it's not an "either you have it or you don't" kind of thing.

Whether you sound like crap or you're decent, I recommend this singing course. It's one of the best methods to learn to sing well in a short amount of time. It's all about using efficient techniques that work.

• hones

At some factor after learning the fundamentals, the singer will probably want to hire a are living voice instruct for additional vocal coaching. A good voice trainer can take the student extra, insuring that he or she will be in a position to sing a tune with vigor and confidence. Some scholars will likely be convinced with singing for themselves, loved ones and acquaintances - at the same time others could with to pursue additional voice training with the likelihood of a future singing career. The place do you slot in?

The most important aspect of good singing technique is AIR. Singers must control their breathing or they become fatigued quickly and their singing suffers. These exercises will produce immediate results, and permanently improved performance if practiced on a daily basis. I have never yet seen a singer--regardless of the style--who didn't make instant improvement by doing these exercises.

Start by taking a deep breath, filling your lungs all the way down to the abdomen (not just the top half of your lungs). Then let it out very slowly in a constant stream. Imagine that you're exhaling through a very thin straw and the air is going out so slowly that you don't appear to be breathing at all--like playing "possum." It may help to picture a candle out in front of you, and your breath is moving so slowly that the flame doesn't flicker as you exhale.

Do this ten times.

Now do five more. But on these next five breaths, pick a nice comfortable note and hold it through the entire breath. Don't let it change in pitch or volume--make it seem like a key being held down on an organ. Be sure that each note is a comfortable pitch--somewhere in your normal speaking register. Low notes are good because they help the throat relax. Use a different pitch for each breath. Don't try to belt out high notes. That strains the vocal chords.

Now do five more of these, gradually CHANGING the volume for each note from zero up to a medium volume and back to zero over the entire duration of the breath. Always choose a different pitch for each breath and NEVER let the pitch go flat or sharp. In the case of these last five breaths all that is changing is the volume, and that should be changing at a rate that is undetectable.

For the last set of five breaths (this is now a total of 25 that you'll be doing) do everything you just did in the previous five, but change the timbre of your voice at a faster rate than the volume is changing. This is done by "sweeping" through the vowels: a,e,i,o,u. Make the change gradual in any order you wish. It'll sound like Tibetan chant, so if anyone asks tell them you've converted to Buddhism and you're atoning your spirit.

You may be asking yourself how this helps you and why results are immediate. The answer is remarkably simple. By concentrating on keeping your pitch constant you focus in on what your body needs to do to sing on pitch. Let's face it, pitch is the most common and important concern of any singer. Another side benefit of doing this exercise is that it pumps extra oxygen into your brain. The brain likes oxygen. In fact, the brain can't function without it. So more oxygen makes you think better and focus more clearly on the task you have at hand: SINGING.

When you're on the mic remember to keep the abdomen tight (imagine you're going to lift a piano) and the throat relaxed (like yawning), allowing plenty of air to move. If you need higher notes you get them with more air, not by squeezing off your neck muscles (a common mistake make by singers who burn out before they're ready to quit). Test this by imagining you see a friend across a busy street and you need to get his attention. Holler out "hey". You'll notice that you do this in a very relaxed way with lots of air. That's how to hit those notes that are right on the edge. RELAXED throat, pushing the air out with the abdomen.

One last thought: believe it or not, TALKING is more of a strain on your voice than SINGING (if you're doing it right). In fact, Broadway singers are under contract to not utter a single word on the day of the show until after the performance ends. So . . . if you want to be a successful singer you have to learn to breath, learn to focus, then shut up and sing!

Good Luck!

a good voice and vibratto = natural, you're basically... born with it? lol. i have both :) i love singing and i'm good at it so i understand that you would like to excel in it as well. ummm when you sing in groups, you stagger breath... if you know what that is. by yourself... well... BREATHING right won't help if you have a bad voice. nothing can help that. just make sure to open your mouth well, have good diction: ENUNCIATE. plus, blues.... well just because you LIKE it doesn't mean you should sing it. maybe, you can sing some other kind of music? my voice fits blues [i sing like... jane monheit- link below], but not all voices do. try a different genre. it may fit you better :) idk. i'm bad at WRITING advice out, but if you really want help, since i'd love to help, then maybe if you email me i can give myself some time to really think about some good advice :) so feel free to email me :)))

okkk well i think"" im a good singer and i used to do singing class sooo my teach told me to basically try singing out of your mouth not your nose so hold your nose and try not to sound funny...then do the do re me fa so la te do thing with your voice dont try to sing just actually "sing" you know what im saying?

TheSingersStudioNY.com

has fun exercises put to music you might enjoy learning and practicing with.

They have a BREATHING PACK you can order or download for 5.99

ok well i'm in choir and my aide teacher person makes us do ridculous but helpful breathing techniques so i could give you a few one she makes us do is you take a deep breath from your stomach and then let it out by making like a chhhh sound ridiculous but it works. another one she makes us do is take another deep breath from the stomach and let it out slowly to a certain numer like 8 or 10. she also makes us take deep breaths and make like ridiculous sounds like ahhh ohh. but it helps. i hope i helped good luck.

Well you should try this sing Mommy made me mash my M&M's Oh My! try that over and over

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!