potty training?

my 3 year old is not potty trained yet. Should I be worrying or just let nature take its course

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Unfortunately for parents, it is their responsibility to work with their child to develop potty control. Because using a diaper is the easier course, a child will use it as long as they can get away with it.

That said, potty training does not have to be stressful. I potty trained my child by just explaining to them that Mommy and Daddy use the toilet and that big kids and adults wear underwear. I put a safe stool at the toilet http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-... and said that they could use it when they were ready. Because it was presented as a reward of advancement instead of a chore or punishment, it was fun for them to get praise when they used the toilet. I know alot of people have a bad experience but I think it is all about the parent's approach and presentation.

Hope this helps.

• 1 decade ago

Yes you should be worried. What kind of steps are you doing to help potty train your child? When I worked in a local daycare I guaranteed your child (2 years old) would be potty trained in 2 weeks, as long as you stuck with the same schedule I did, when the child was at home. Make your child potty every hour, even if they don't potty it's ok. You have to make them think of using the potty. Children can't remember what adults to. Get on their level. make it fun! Use cheerios in the potty or show them how you potty. Reasure them that potty time is fun and reward them for using the potty with lots of love, and maybe just one cookie or one m&m everytime they go potty.

• 1 decade ago

I agree with NikNik...it's called potty TRAINING. You can't just expect your child to wake up one day and say, "Gee, I think I'm going to use the toilet today." Introduce your child to the toilet. Read books about. Start sitting your child on there every 2 hrs. Run some water to get things "flowing". When your child goes (even just a little) make a HUGE CELEBRATION about it. Make a sticker chart and let your child put stickers on it when he/she goes. When I was teaching in a 3 yr old room, all of the children were potty trained so it's really time to start working on it. Above all, be consistent, consistent, consistent

Source(s): Masters in Early Childhood Education former nursery, preschool and Kindergarten teacher
  • I would definitely start introducing him/her to the bathroom. All 3 of my boys were potty trained by the age of two. And the longest it took was with my oldest and that was 3 weeks. My second child only took a week and my youngest potty trained in 2 days. He/She is definitely ready to be potty trained.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I'm assuming your child is a boy? Boys are more difficult to train. My son had problems too. Is he or she not even trying to use the bathroom? If you're seeing some progress, then just keep reaffirming that. It's not like this problem is going to go well into the Teens. I mean, come on. Sometimes putting too much pressure on them leaves them feeling stressed about it. If your child is in daycare, see if you can get the assistance from a teacher too. But only in a positive light. I don't think putting a negative spin on anything at this age is a good idea.

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Well you have to put some initiative into it. You have to buy a pot and tell them that they have to pee and poop in the potty to get big girl or big boy underwear.

I did that for my daughter. I bought a pot and asked her did she want big girl panties like mommy. She said yes. I told her she has to use the potty. Took the diapers off and moved to pull ups. She was potty trained in 3 months at 2 1/2.

It takes patience, but YOU have to put them on the pot

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Start introducing your toddler to the bathroom - if you start with your toddler you may find that they can pick up more that you expect - usually by age 3 a toddler can speak clearly enough to tell you that they need to go to the bathroom - if your little one speaks enough to be ABLE to tell you then you should start the first steps of potty training - Good luck

• 1 decade ago

every child is different. just like every pregnancy so if ur toddler isnt ready yet dont force him. remember thats a natural function for all of us and he will eventually. dont be too concern just continue reminding him that when he wants to go either let u know or keep the bathroom door open so he can experiment. For fun try adding blue food dye into the toilet bowl and see his face light up when it changes green when he urinates......try that and see what happens. Good luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if your child can talk and tell you when they need a wee then yes start potty training.if you are at all worried see your doctor or health visitor for advice.

• 1 decade ago

not to be mean but I would be worrying.Usually a baby will start at 1and1/2 years old if they see some one using a bathroom enough.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.