What are the twenty largest Native American tribes in the western USA, by population and by land area?

I know that there are a lot of Native American tribes in North America, but I'm specifically looking for statistics on those in the western United States - the area west of the Mississippi river. I'm looking for the twenty "largest" tribes, by both population (tribes with the most people) and land area (tribes with the most square acres of land). I'm looking for a list of tribal names, the state they are in, the population and land area they occupy.

To clarify: I'm in my 20's and this isn't for a school assignment. This is for a personal creative writing project I'm working on.

Favorite Answer

http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/phc-t18/t... gives the information you're looking for. Western Tribes are defined in this document as those west of the Mississippi River. Data is given is self-reported and does not indicate whether or not the person is an enrolled tribal member. However, using the data on the graph, you might be able to imply that those who reported being American Indian and no other ancestry are enrolled while those who reported being American Indian and some other ancestry are not enrolled.

Source(s): Enrolled tribal member

This is easily found anywhere online. Do your homework by yourself.

Edit: Exactly. Do your research on your own. Are you going to give me credit for the money you make on a book you write when it was my information that got you started? Go find the info on your own and when you write your story you'll feel more satisfaction. Try google. Type in "20 largest native american tribes in the western USA".

wow twenty largest!!! Well I know for a fact that the Navajo Nation has the largest population and reservation in the United States. I would think Cherokee, Lakota, Ojibwe, and Chippewa are up there.

• squire

No. As spoke of there have been Vikings in North usa earlier Columbus. some info that they could have travelled as a procedures South as manhattan. there is likewise some info that Scots could have been right here too.

• .

Why are you getting into Native American's business? Leave them alone.