Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

What are some famous black people?

Other than M.L.K., Jackie Robinson, Harriet Tubman, and Fredrick Douglas?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Phillis Wheatley, the slave and poet who was the first American writer to achieve international fame.

Toussaint l'Ouverture, the former Haitian slave who led a succesful rebellion and freed the slaves of Haiti

Sojourner Truth, abolitionist and campaigner for women's rights.

Madam C.J. Walker, the world's first self-made female millionaire.

Maggie Lena Walker, the first woman bank president of the United States.

Charles Drew, doctor who invented the blood bank, and a method of storing plasma.

Jesse Owens, the athlete who won four gold medals at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, and made the Nazis look stupid.

Jackie Robinson, the first black man to join a major league baseball team

Hattie Macdaniel, the first black actor to win an Oscar (for Best Supporting Actress in Gone With the Wind)

Louis Armstrong, Fats Waller, Count Basie, great jazz musicians

Billie Holliday,Bessie Smith, Ella Fitzgerald, great jazz singers

Peg Leg Bates, the amazing one legged tap dancer.

Alice Coachman, star of the 1948 Olympics, the first black woman to endorse a national product - coca cola, appearing on billboards across the country with Jesse Owens

Barbara Jordan, the first black woman to be elected to the Texas State Senate, and the first black woman from the South to enter Congress.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Mary
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

There are loots of people you could write about. Check out some of these folks (just a fraction of the available options) and see which ones interest you most. Phillis Wheatley Frederick Douglass Nat Turner Booker T. Washington Ida B. Wells W.E.B. DuBois Harriet Tubman George Washington Carver Richard Wright Zora Neale Hurston Toni Morrison Countee Cullen Langston Hughes Ira Aldridge Lorraine Hansberry Charlie Parker Medgar Evers Thurgood Marshall Richard Pryor Gordon Parks Alvin Ailey June Jordan

• 1 decade ago

Dr John Sentamu, Archbishop of York

Sir Trevor McDonald, TV Newscaster

Lenny Henry, Comedian

Linford Christie, Olympic Athlete

Ashley Cole, International Footballer

Tessa Sanderson, Olympic Athlete

Baron Alli, of Norbury, Politician

Frank Bruno, Boxer and Entertainer

Sir Viv Richards, Cricketer

• Skunk
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Morgan Freeman, Nelson Mandela, Booker Washington, Ray Charles, Terrell Owens, etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sojourner Truth, Booker T. Washington, George Washington Carver, Ida Wells-Barnett, W.E.B. DuBois, Zora Neale Hurston, James Langston Hughes, Margaret Walker, Malcolm X, and the list goes on.

• 1 decade ago

Read here about a few that should be more famous including a 9 year old boy who helped to alert the Minute Men on the eve of the American Revolution! His name was Abel Benson!

http://african-american-history.suite101.com/artic...

• Kim W
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

...I think you mean "WHO are some famous black people".

and you could always just do a Google search for "famous black people" and come up with an ample amount.

• 1 decade ago

I made mistake with vote. I agree with first person.

I only could remember one.

Rosa Park- She was arrested on bus for not giving her front seat for WHITE People.

• 1 decade ago

sugar ray robinson, mike tyson, denzel washington ,sidney poiter, tupac snoop dog, mahaila jackson, della reese,redd fox,step and fetchet, otis dont know the last name invented the elevator and i do believe eli whitney i do believe he invented the cottongin. there are just so many you might want to go to the library. billy holiday was one of the greatest there ever was, there are many black gospel singers, malcom x, willy mays, joe foreman, ali, patterson, sonny listen. there are many singers, actors, actresses and sport figures.

Source(s): i read about some of them in school and i watch documentaries.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.