Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

Organic Vs. inorganic?

Does eating organic food really provide health benefits not received in inorganic foods?

In other words should we really choose to eat only organic foods?

By organic or inorganic i mean food grown without chemicals or with chemicals

Favorite Answer

Haha at the previous reply - too true!

But if you're talking about food standards and organic - I go for organic every time. Why? I moved to the US from Europe, where they have stringent food regulations. In Europe, I actually never touched organic food - as I knew already that conventional foods were of high standard already.

In the US, all the food standards are skewered. They do not tell you if the product is genetically modified or anything. They even claim that things like corn syrup are natural. Fair enough, it does come from corn, but they don't tell you how UN-natural it is to process the corn into syrup, which involves a 15-step process including refining it with hydrochloric acid.

Alas, to me I feel that eating organic is healthier. Even though the USDA/other organizations are trying to bend the rules a little bit - I read that they wanted to pump organic meat with a "chemical" that made the meat look fresher, but that totally disregards what "organic" means...

No one knows the long term risks and side effects contaminants such as herbicides etc can cause on foods, let alone genetically modified foods. So, in a certain aspect I feel "safer" eating "organic" than not. Plus the organic food tastes so much better! (Carrots for example are sweeter etc).

I don't really have an open opinion on whether EVERYONE should eat ONLY organic foods - it is your choice.

• Mary

I think that what you are asking is reflected in the product and a comparison of them. Organic sources of minerals would be mined minerals with a limited processing that is just physical in nature, as in crushing and sifting and bagging. The products are not of the highest purity and contain naturally a great deal of other materials as is commonly found in nature. Inorganic minerals are far more processed and purified using a fair amount of chemistry and energy with the intent to purify and concentrate. Those products do not have the benefit of the naturally occurring intermediate materials and trace elements that nature has bases millions of years of evolution on. Those inorganic materials frequently shortcut natural processes and affect the localized plant environment negatively by rapidly and forcefully changing that environment, upsetting important balances for short term gain.

• We all know organic produce is grown without the use of pesticide but what else? Well organic farmers encourage wild plants and animals to share the land with them. They use compost and other natural fertilizers instead of chemical ones. They are generally small family farms and therefore do most of the tilling, planting and harvesting by hand without the use of polluting machines. They usually use "heritage" or "heirloom" seeds rather than genetically engineered ones. They're products are usually delivered to the public at local farmers markets or stores which cuts down on the use of fossil fuels for delivery. Then when you get them home they have no pesticide residue or chemical waxes on them to get into you.

And there's more! Eggs laid by free range chickens have less cholesterol, less saturated fat, more vitamin A, more omega-3 fatty acids, more vitamin E, and more beta carotene. Animals raised on "free range" are naturally higher in omega-3 fatty acids and lower in fat and cholesterol when compared to grain feed animals.

And think about this! The run off from feed lots, large scale dairies and egg operations is considered a toxic substance and has to be handled as such. Because they have to live in a toxic waste dump the animals antibiotics, pesticides, and other hazardous chemicals have to be used to keep the animals "healthy".

• Depends on how it was grown most organic food is imported now or at least allot of it is.

Some parts of the world still use human waste as fertilzer.

also there are guidelines that the usda laid down that say just how much non all natural in organic content can go into something and still be considered organic.

I see the organic veggies in the market more expensive and they usually look like crap

I go with what ever looks fresher and wash it off.

I consider the whole organic foods movement to be a new-age holly roll designed to exploit the consumer.

Beyond that i believe there are certain things that shouldn't be done like cloning wether its animal or veggie genetic manipulartion juicing live stock that sort of thing are all unnatural in my book

But what are you going to do

i do consider selective breeding ok but if you have to open something up and mess with its chromosomes ill take my oranges with seeds in them if thats even possible anymore

Some consumers may be helped by an absence of some extraneous materials (eg, fertilizers, insecticides) from so-called "organic" foods, but there isn't yet convincing scientific evidence that "organic" foods are clearly superior in a NUTRITIONAL sense. So, the answer to your question is that in general, barring specific allergies or other serious reactions to conventionally grown foods, there are probably no significant health benefits per se offered by "organic" foods compared to those raised conventionally. Sadly, right now the biggest difference between "organic" and "conventional" foods is the price you pay at the "organic" gouging pump.

However, there are some very important differences, eg, economic, ecological, and social, that merit intense discussion. But that's a different question altogether.

I believe organic is better than the alterative. I don't have any scientific information about it. I just try to use common sense.

As far as choosing only organic foods goes, I tend to buy a mix of foods. There are two main things I look for at the grocery store, though. I buy Horizon organic milk products because I feel better about using them. (The price difference isn't a big deal to me because even though I don't make a great deal of money, we don't use a whole lot of milk in our house and it lasts us a while.) I also buy as much organic, free range meat products as I can. Like I said, I just feel better about buying that over the alternative.

Those against organic food are fond of declaring that research fails to support the claim that organic food is better than non organic food. Some say there has been no research at all. That is not true of course.

Organic food has been proven many, many times to be healthier than conventional produce.

Here are a few samples of organic food research that has been carried out asking the same question as we are - is organic food better? The answer is clear –

In 2001, the Journal of alternative and Complementary Medicine, internationally acknowledged as the leading publisher in biotechnology, published a study by Virginia Worthington, MS, ScD, CNS - Nutrikinetics, Washington, DC.

This study found that …Organic crops contained significantly more vitamin C, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus and significantly less nitrates than conventional crops. There were non-significant trends showing less protein but of a better quality and a higher content of nutritionally significant minerals with lower amounts of some heavy metals in organic crops compared to conventional ones.

In 2004-5, the Danish Institute of Agricultural Sciences conducted a report that found that … Organic milk in 7 out of 10 samples contained significantly higher levels of vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol) than non-organic milk (Figure 3). There was less synthetic vitamin E in organic milk which indicates less was added to the organic milk.

Despite this, the vitamin E content of organic milk was higher than non-organic milk. - The beta-carotene content was two to three times higher in organic milk than in non-organic milk…

…and in 2006, the University of Liverpool found that … Organic milk had higher levels of polyunsaturated fatty acids throughout the year, compared to non-organic milk. In particular, average levels of omega-3 fatty acids were 68% higher in organic milk…Organic milk also contains a much lower omega-6:omega-3 fatty acid ratio, which is considered beneficial, than non-organic milk: “The n-6:n-3 FA ratio each month in organic milk ranged from 1.27 to 1.90, and in conventional milk, ranged from 1.99 to 3.66.” According to Simopoulos (2002), “a lower ratio of omega3/omega6 is more desirable in reducing the risk of many chronic diseases of high prevalence in Western societies.”

In 2007, a 4-year, £12 million project financed by the EU, revealed that …organic tomatoes, peaches and processed apples all have higher nutritional quality than non-organic - scientists conclude "organic cherry and standard tomatoes can be recommended as part of a healthy diet including plant products which have shown to be of value in cancer prevention - organic peaches "have a higher polyphenol content at harvest" and concludes that organic production has "positive effects ... on nutritional quality and taste

Is organic food better? I’m not going to argue with the experts. The above is a tiny sample of the research that has found positively for organic food.

salt is the only inorganic food we consume.... all other foods come from living organisms

if you are going to do it do it right. eat the organic food. but nothing is truly grown without chemicals. they are everywhere. in the water they are grown with and in the air that we breath. nothing any of us can do about that...

• .

All I know is it tastes better and my kids behavior is better on it than when they eat stuff with artificial colors ect in it