Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Do you change your oil based on the MFR recommendation or every 3000 miles?

Most operating manuals recommend every 5000 to 7500 miles. But dealers, lube joints, repair shops pressure you to do it every 3000 miles.

Unless you drive in extremely dirty conditions, why would you want to spend double the money for no additional benefit?

• Kiari
    Best Answer

I go by the manual (which is 7500 I believe) the only other time is if the car is running not so smooth and is obvious that the oil needs to be changed.. or if we are planning a long road trip.

I change every 3k personally. I dont know of any shop that pressures you into a service that they dont make any money on. A shop cannot survive off doing only oil changes so to me, sounds like that shop is trying to provide a service for you and your car, and at the same time securing a relationship with a customer.

Source(s): ase master certified technician shop owner

SPEND ALL YOU CAN ON OIL CHANGES... because its one of very few things that you can benefit greatly from by doing frequently... every 3000 is good... that gives you the buffer room to go a Lil more in case you don't get to it when your suppose to..

every 3000 miles

i change mine 2 times a yr., once in the spring and another time in the fall.

i have no idea when the last time i changed mine was and my car still runs. but im irresponsible.