Electoral Commission question?

A woman called me today and said she was from the Australian Electoral Commission and asked if I still lived at ....street....and as she mentioned my childhood address where I haven't live in over 20 years and left when I was 16, I was wondering why she was asking as I wasn't enrolled to vote at that address and my current enrolment details are up to date....was she a scammer?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • jigfam
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It certainly sounds very suspicious. The AEC usually send out letters re enrolments.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

I had someone call to get my drivers licence number. Without much thought I gave it to her, then was a little concerned it may have been a scam, so I called the local electoral commission. (you can find the number at 13 23 26 - they ask for your post code to send you to the appropriate office). They confirmed that it was in fact someone from their office that had called me.

• Tom
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Could be. Here in the U.S., identity thieves are pretending to be be from Jury Commissions and will call people saying they failed to respond to a Jury Summons and attempt to "verify" certain facts about you in order to straighten out the non-existent "problem".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.