I was just informed that none of the Framers of the US were Freemasons?

Are we trying to....what were the words.....oh rewrite history?

Update:

No I put Framers on purpose. It's the general terms used in the historical community for the "Founding Fathers".

Update 2:

But yes my keyboard is in BAD shape from my twins lol so m spelling can be bad.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Whoever 'informed' you of this is wrong.

It is well documented and true that many of the founding fathers and framers of the US were Freemasons. Trish provides a good list.

The US Constitution was based upon Freemason principles.

Whoever told you this is either playing with you, or doing you a serious disservice.

to some others:

* freemasonry was never a 'good ole boys' club - unfortunately though, some probably treat it as such

* Freemason and Mason are the same thing. The Freemason Lodge that George Washington belonged to is still operating today

* the amazingdiscoveries link is amazing only in how wild the interpretations are

* there is no masonic layout to Washington DC, that is part of the conspiracy theorist realm...

Source(s): I am a Freemason (and yes, that means Mason too)
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

There is a difference between the historical record and what people write as history. This historical record doesn't change, only the interpretation. Re-writing history in this sense is exactly what the discipline of Academic History is all about, but to rewrite the historical record is impossible and should be viewed as lying at worst, and being misinformed at best.

Unless you're talking about the guy who put the piece of paper the consistition is written on into a frame. In this case I don't know if the framer was a Freemason.

:-) To be one ask one.

• Eric S
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

To Kris: The Freemasons and the Masons are the same thing. Always were, always will be. Freemason is just a more formal term, more old fashioned, but we use both terms in the lodge.

Source(s): I'm a Mason/Freemason
  • 1 decade ago

George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and a lot more were freemasons. Washington DC is made of compasses and angles that is Masonry. Look at the White House on a street map and look to the north....there is a pentagram pointing at the white house. The Pentagram before hollywood and modern witches used it was a masonic symbol.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

lol - I'd say that someone is DEFINITELY trying to rewrite history!

Confirmed Masonic Signers of the Declaration of Independence:

William Ellery, RI

Benjamin Franklin, PA

John Hancock, MA

Joseph Hewes, NC

William Hooper, NC

Robert Treat Paine, MA

Richard Stockton, NJ

George Walton, GA

William Whipple, NH

Others were believed to be Masons, but no records survive to confirm it:

Elbridge Gerry, MA

Thomas Jefferson, VA

Richard Henry Lee, VA

Thomas McKean, DE

Robert Morris, PA

Thomas Nelson, Jr., VA

John Penn, NC

Benjamin Rush, PA

Roger Sherman, CT

James Smith, PA

John Witherspoon, NJ

The Bible on which George Washington was sworn into office was - drumroll, please - A MASONIC BIBLE, and is still in the posession of the Grand Lodge of New York (the state "headquarters," so to speak).

• 1 decade ago

The whole thing about Freemasonry among our Founding Fathers is such a lot of hype. For those that believe the vast Masonic mystical-magical-evil-conspiracy theories, it adds a lot of spice to history. For those who are informed, it just means that many well-known guys in the past were in the same men's club. Reality is so boring!

• mcneil
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Yep. i've got examine the form in it rather is intirety numerous cases. can no longer locate the be conscious god, jesus, christianity, etc., everywhere. in actuality the only connection with faith is in the 1st modification the place it mentions that, "Congress shall make no regulation respecting a company of religion," which says to me, and each courtroom in the land, that to speak of united states as having been in line with christian principals is purely unconstitutional crap. Get it? it can be a criminal offense for the government to even "understand" christianity. As has oft been stated, the founding fathers have been staggering wanting some errors yet we've corrected those with extra amendments.

• 1 decade ago

Oh, no, this is true. They were all Evangelicals and Jefferson and Adams only MET because they went to the same mega-church where a hip but wholesome band played before services. They drove SUV's, lived in McMansions, and complained a lot even though they had it pretty good. It's the NEW version of history that's much better.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My grandfather was a Mason,and my grandmother was an Eastern Star,want to know the secret hand shake. NOT!!!!!!

• 1 decade ago

Lol to whomever told you that... Yes, quite a few of them were Freemasons as it was kinda the "in" thing at the time. The original Good Ol' Boys club...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.