Can horses eat chocolate?
I am doing a science fair project and I need to know if I can feed my horse a little bit of cocoa. I need to test his taste buds and see if he can taste bitter!! Cocoa was the first thing that came to mind. If horses cant eat cocoa what is another bitter food that I can feed them?
- Anonymous1 decade agoFavorite Answer
Horses have been witnessed eating and drinking almost everything, but just because they will doesn't mean they should.Chocolate is a mild stimulant to humans mainly mainly due to the presence of theobromine.It is much more potent for horses, and its use in horse racing is prohibited. In sufficient amounts, the theobromine found in chocolate is toxic to animals such as horses, dogs, parrots, small rodents, and cats (kittens especially) because they are unable to metabolise the chemical effectively. If they are fed chocolate, the theobromine will remain in their bloodstream for up to 20 hours, and these animals may experience epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding, and eventually death. Medical treatment involves inducing vomiting within two hours of ingestion, or contacting a veterinarian.
check the sites below for more info!!Source(s): http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_can_horses_eat http://126.96.36.199/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=hor...
- Anonymous6 years ago
This Site Might Help You.
Can horses eat chocolate?
I am doing a science fair project and I need to know if I can feed my horse a little bit of cocoa. I need to test his taste buds and see if he can taste bitter!! Cocoa was the first thing that came to mind. If horses cant eat cocoa what is another bitter food that I can feed them?Source(s): horses eat chocolate: https://tr.im/jmGx1
- MyNutmegLv 61 decade ago
you can but you shouldn't feed in excess quantities because horses may react to the theobromine in the chocolate. You could use the chocolate drops that you can buy for dogs as that has the theobromine removed and so should be safe.
Just a note in the treatment of theobromine poisoning - while vomitting works in dogs etc, you can't treat horses like this - they can't vomit - it's a physical impossibility for a horse.
- 7 years ago
Just like dogs, horses can not eat chocolate.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- HersheyluvaLv 41 decade ago
yes but very very very little!!! If you give your horse like 1 chocolate chip cookie it will be fine but most defiantly don't feed them chocolate in excess and i wouldn't feed chocolate straight either.
- 1 decade ago
NOOOOO DONT FEED THEM COCOA, ITS FOR THERE SAFTEY!!!! BUT YOU COULD TRY DIFFERENT TYPES OF FOOD!!!
HOPE I HELPED =)