Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootballEnglish Football · 1 decade ago

Is there fine line between banter ....and downright nastiness...??

...I thought that banter was about gentle ridicule... and making good humoured fun of someone/something....

... does the football sections tribalist hatred go a bit beyond that ...??

...or not..?

Best Answer

Its a bit like Current Events section....but with balls....lol

iv had a bit of banter on here but some just dont know the difference

i have some fun at everyone's expense and expect the same

but when im called a boy and need to get back to my pram i just laff and all the others thats been said

i am never nasty!

supporting your team who ever it is ,is tribalistic, the banter is individual, the way you take it is your own choice!

btw i do serious questions as well!

The fine line can sometimes be crossed, best not to give out what you cant take back, ive seem some really nasty answers in not only the Football section. (you should see the Current Affairs section sometimes!!!).

I will make good humoured fun out of non Arsenal supporters and i will accept humour back, i dont take it too seriously, if you take it too seriously you shouldnt be on here, go to the flower arranging (???!!) section!

Or if you dont like what is being said, switch off!

I only answer your footie questions doc so not in this section enough to comment but you are right there is a fine line between banter and downright nastiness.

• momof3

I think there is a fine line with anything but it is what side of the line you go on.

I come on here not very often as I will admit to not knowing much about football but my contacts send me here lol

I think you get it any section and I have a tough skin being in RTV need it ha ha.

I am enjoying my football presents to be honest and fine the postings really good and peeps know their football and I am learning a bit about it as well lol

Now explain the off side rule ha ha

I reckon that you may be right there Prime, seems to be going away from gentle ridicule and banter to downright nastiness at times.

No I think there is a huge gap between banter and downright nastiness unfortunately some people have really long legs and cross the gap fairly easily!

• personally I think the FS is pretty nasty, FFS they must get loads of violations every day, and you know me Doc, I'm usually right on the line, if not a few steps over, it's only meant as banter though, some people are just more sensitive, or lightweights! pmsl

Only uneducated people who cant take a bit of banter, return with nasty bile, as they don't have the brainpower to come out with something witty. It's quite common with rangers fans.

• tony c

for me it's about rivalry-i like to have a go at the baggies-but it's never anything personal on my part for instance i have heard idiots bring wives and kids into it-now thats out of order-bit of slagging the opposition off is all part of the game- no harm in that. as a wolves fan i expect to get it off the brum/baggies/villans/blues etc from time to time but it's all took in good spirit.

the thing is if you give banter then expect it back and if you cant take it and end up drunk blocking people then dont slag them iv not had a go at anyone on here unless they have had a go at me first or my team

EDIT now now bodger you trying to say im gay ron you seen the mess i make of people when i want lol