Meaning of "Neocon" ?

My friend is a huge Ron Paul supporter, I'm liberal (more socialist than democrat) and he called me a "neocon."

I thought "neocon" was a term for extreme conservatives, was I wrong? Not trying to start a left vs. right debate here, just second-guessing myself.
Update: Based on the two answers I have so far, he is the neocon, not me (he JUST registered for the Republican party this year, for as long as I've known him he's been slightly liberal or politically apathetic). Again, not trying to start a debate, I honestly have no problem with conservatives, but I do have... show more Based on the two answers I have so far, he is the neocon, not me (he JUST registered for the Republican party this year, for as long as I've known him he's been slightly liberal or politically apathetic).

Again, not trying to start a debate, I honestly have no problem with conservatives, but I do have a problem with idiots that belittle someone without knowing what they're saying.
Update 2: And, based on answers I got after the first two, the term "neocon" is completely irrelevant haha.

Thank you to everyone for your answers.