What is Obama, Hillary and McCain's stance on illegal immigration?

What are the candidates policies on illegal immigration? This will be affecting my decision greatly, because it's very important to me. I've lived in every time zone in the USA and I know a lot of non-border states take this lightly. If you live in Arizona, Texas and especially California, you know this is a serious issue. Thoughts?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Obamas Plans for Illegal Immigration:

Barack Obama's Plan

Create Secure Borders

Obama wants to preserve the integrity of our borders. He supports additional personnel, infrastructure and technology on the border and at our ports of entry.

Improve Our Immigration System

Obama believes we must fix the dysfunctional immigration bureaucracy and increase the number of legal immigrants to keep families together and meet the demand for jobs that employers cannot fill.

Remove Incentives to Enter Illegally

Obama will remove incentives to enter the country illegally by cracking down on employers who hire undocumented immigrants.

Bring People Out of the Shadows

Obama supports a system that allows undocumented immigrants who are in good standing to pay a fine, learn English, and go to the back of the line for the opportunity to become citizens.

Work with Mexico

Obama believes we need to do more to promote economic development in Mexico to decrease illegal immigration.

Hillary Clintons Plans:

Our immigration system is in crisis. The laws we currently have on the books are inadequate and no longer serve our best interests. As a nation, we place a premium on compassion, respect, and policies that help families, but our immigration laws don't reflect that.

Hillary has consistently called for comprehensive immigration reform that respects our immigrant heritage and honors the rule of law. She believes comprehensive reform must have as essential ingredients a strengthening of our borders, greater cross-cooperation with our neighbors, strict but fair enforcement of our laws, federal assistance to our state and local governments, strict penalties for those who exploit undocumented workers, and a path to earned legal status for those who are here, working hard, paying taxes, respecting the law, and willing to meet a high bar.

Hillary strongly believes we need to do more to know who is in our country by securing our borders and ensuring that employers comply with the law against hiring and exploiting undocumented workers. She supports deploying new technology that can help stop the flow of undocumented immigrants into the country and an employer verification system that is universal, accurate, timely, and does not lead to discrimination and abuse by employers.

Along with these changes, Hillary believes we need to repair those broken portions of our immigration system that irrevocably damage families and force citizens and lawful immigrants to choose between their newly adopted country and living with their spouse or children. We have a national interest in fostering strong families. This is why she introduced an amendment during consideration of the immigration reform bill that would have taken steps to protect the sanctity of families. Our American values demand no less.

And Hillary understands that our immigration policies have a direct impact on American workers. She opposes a guest worker program that exploits workers and creates a supply of cheap labor that undermines the wages of U.S. workers. Hillary believes all workers deserve safe conditions and decent wages. She supports an Ag Jobs program, which will keep our agricultural industry vibrant while enabling agricultural workers to receive the fair wages and labor protections they ought to receive.

When Hillary is president, comprehensive immigration reform will be a top priority

John McCain's Plan:

Immigration is one of those challenging issues that touch on many aspects of American life.

I have always believed that our border must be secure and that the federal government has utterly failed in its responsibility to ensure that it is secure. If we have learned anything from the recent immigration debate, it is that Americans have little trust that their government will honor a pledge to do the things necessary to make the border secure.

As president, I will secure the border. I will restore the trust Americans should have in the basic competency of their government. A secure border is an essential element of our national security. Tight border security includes not just the entry and exit of people, but also the effective screening of cargo at our ports and other points of entry.

But a secure border will contribute to addressing our immigration problem most effectively if we also:

Recognize the importance of building strong allies in Mexico and Latin America who reject the siren call of authoritarians like Hugo Chavez, support freedom and democracy, and seek strong domestic economies with abundant economic opportunities for their citizens.

Recognize the importance of pro-growth policies -- keeping government spending in check, holding down taxes, and cutting unnecessary regulatory burdens -- so American businesses can hire and pay the best.

Recognize the importance of a flexible labor market to keep employers in business and our economy on top. It should provide skilled Americans and immigrants with opportunity. Our education system should ensure skills for our younger workers, and our retraining and assistance programs for displaced workers must be modernized so they can pursue those opportunities

Recognize the importance of assimilation of our immigrant population, which includes learning English, American history and civics, and respecting the values of a democratic society.

Recognize that America will always be that "shining city upon a hill," a beacon of hope and opportunity for those seeking a better life built on hard work and optimism.

Border security and our failed immigration system are more examples of an ailing Washington culture in need of reform to regain the trust of Americans. In too many areas -- from immigration and pork barrel spending to Social Security, health care, energy security and tax relief -- business-as-usual politics prevents addressing the important challenges facing our nation.

Personally, I am for Barack Obama, he has a great plan for immigration and also for all the other issues.

"In the unlikely story of America, there has never been anything false about hope."

Barack Obama '08

Source(s): www.barackobama.com www.hillaryclinton.com www.johnmccain.com www.cnn.com
  • 1 decade ago

I am a half Hispanic, that grew up in Los Angeles. I did not look 'ethnic' enough to stay there, so I moved North. I got tired of living with iron bars on my house and all the other Getto problems that went along with what the greater L.A. area has become. Celebrities are the main reason for the Amnesty because they use the illegals to do everything for them. And, they don't have to live around them.

Politicians are the same as celebrities, they have the illegals do everything for them and they don't have to live around them.

Everyone that has never, YET, lived around illegal immigrants does not have a CLUE as to what it is like.

You will completely FIND OUT what it is like. You think now, "Oh I like Mexican food, that will be nice, to have a Mexican food restaurant in our town, I want Amnesty, I don't understand what the big deal is". Baby you sure will understand! You think your towns and cities cannot become like Los Angeles?! Get ready to find out real super fast. It's going to be coming down on your area real fast, fast. I saw 40 houses on 1 block go up for sale fast, every single one was filled with large Mexican, Guatamalan, Honduran, El Salvadoran peoples, usually 16 to a house. Some on Welfare and Food Stamps and Medical, some working in meat packing factories, building houses, some on SSI Supplemental Security Income, and all paying for the house together. Thinking they cannot afford to live in your area is crazy, they will get Down Payment assistance, 1st Time Home Buyers, Low-Income Homeowners Assistance, FHA, All those goodies, all the Entitlements, and they will live all around you. And guess What? They don't like you if you are not Hispanic, they do NOT want to Assimilate, they want you OUT NOW!!! They will make sure you want to move, FAST... And guess what else, it will be way too late. You will have the Democrats in place or that idoit McCain and you will have Red Carpet Amnesty. There will be no turning back. You will be the minority real soon, and unwanted by the Hispanics, that will do all the hiring and firing at jobs and control finance at companies and banks and lending institutions, they will control it all and they don't want you if you are not Hispanic. They want Aztlan and will not stop until they control all of America and then probably change the United States of America to whatever they like, like Gringo Mexico or something. So, remember not too far in the future, you let it happen, you let America go to the control of illegal immigrants that will be legal and flourishing and controling everything.

Source(s): www.heritage.org
    • Loreal
      Lv 5
      6 years agoReport

2014 UPDATE: NorthFlight, YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT ON ALL YOU SAID 100%, I live in L.A. many decades and so know. So bad here now that most know. Vote in Rand Paul, Ted Cruz or libertarian. Two parties are destroying us via elite globalists who own all media, banks, corps and government.

• Granny
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

McCain wants the fence. High, wide, and fast. He wants everyone deported.

Obama and Clinton want amnesty after you pay a fine, learn English, and get in line.

Obama and Clinton differ on health care for illegal immigrants. Clinton wants to cover them, but Obama would not.

• Loreal
      Lv 5
      6 years agoReport

2014: McCain wrote the amnesty bill. He never wanted a fence or deportations. He said "everyone knows by now they aren't going back" as he smiled. Clinton and Obama big liars on everything imaginable.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not a one of them seems to understand that the illegals are CRIMINALS among other negative things. I maintain that our elected officials who are not upholding our laws need to be investigated because the whole mess reeks of massive corruption from County to Capitol!

I'm waiting (hoping) to see some smart lawyer defend a client by claiming discrimination...some can be charged, tried and maybe jailed for breaking one law but some are actually rewarded for breaking another???????

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Loreal
    Lv 5
    6 years ago

WOW. It's now 2014, seven years later! SO NOW EVERYONE KNOWS THESE GLOBALIST CANDIDATES DO NOT TELL THE TRUTH AND LOOK AT MESS WE ARE IN. VOTE FOR ONLY HONEST TRUSTWORTHY CANDIDATES LEFT IN 2016: LIBERTARIAN AT HEART: RAND PAUL, TED CRUZ, MIKE LEE. WE WANT OUR COUNTRY BACK. SEE "AMERICA" THE MOVIE.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

None of them will fix the problem. Its a precursor to open borders and the NAU.

If you dont think the NAU is real look at my Republian platform survey from my caucus.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8278/s8005678kz...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

they are all for open borders, aka American union. All three are scum with liberal leanings, that are going to wreck America.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

they are opposed to it, but they are also opposed to doing anything to stop it

• 1 decade ago

Hollywood, Calif. -- Hollywood, California-- The much-anticipated Tinseltown one-on-one Democratic debate tonight lacked much of the drama that had been widely predicted and proceeded on a relatively cordial tone, with candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama refusing to directly confront each other during much of the near two-hour long showdown.

Some verbal skirmishing briefly flared over the issue of Iraq and health care but those expecting any sort of knock-down drag-out battle in this final debate before next Tuesday's avalanche of primaries came away disappointed as the candidates often emphasized the differences they have with Republicans over their own disagreements.

"We're having a wonderful time," Clinton said with a smile and laugh toward the end of the first face-to-face debate between the two Democratic challengers.

"The differences between Barack and I pale between the differences we have with Republicans," Clinton said. But, she added, "We do have differences." Singling out foreign policy, Clinton argued that America must be "realistic and optimistic but we start with realism" and she said she doesn't think the next president should " put the prestige of the presidency on the line" by meeting with what she called five of the world's worst dictators. The former First Lady was referring to earlier statements by Obama that he would be open to meeting with America's global opponents.

Obama said one of his greatest differences with Clinton was on the issue of the war on Iraq. "I was opposed to Iraq from the start," Obama said. "I say that not to just look backward but also forward," he said, arguing that sound judgment was needed by the next president in order to avoid future, avoidable wars.

At another, later point in the debate, Obama said that while he and Clinton are in agreement on many aspects of eventual troop withdrawal from Iraq he said he differed with his rival on what he called possible "mission creep" - the long-term stationing of American troops in Iraq to blunt Iranian influence in the area. Obama implied that Clinton had employed poor judgment in voting to authorize the war in Iraq in 2002.

Clinton answered by repeating her oft-used campaign line that "if I knew then what I know now I would have never voted to authorize" the war in Iraq. She also said that her vote was not necessarily one for war but for more aggressive diplomacy.

When asked by CNN moderator Wolf Blitzer why she just didn't concede her original authorization vote was a mistake, Clinton said "no one could have fully appreciated how obsessed this president was with this particular mission" of going to war and that talking to Bush was like "talking to a brick wall."

Blitzer then elicited a round of booing from the audience when he followed up by asking if Clinton was saying she was, therefore, "naïve."

Obama escalated the fray by stating, "the legislation, the authorization, had the title, 'An Authorization to Use Military Force in Iraq'" and that he thought, "everyone was very clear about it."

"One of the arguments Senator Clinton is making is that you have to have experience on day one," he said. "I'm saying it's important to be right on day one." Obama's remark drew the loudest applause of the evening.

Clinton also received a loud positive audience response earlier in the debate when asked if the American people might not be tiring of alternating Bush/Clinton administrations, she said, "It took a Clinton to clean up after one Bush. It might take another to clean up after a second one."

The candidates also cautiously sparred on the potentially explosive issue of immigration with Obama rejecting a moderator's question that assumed that African-Americans were suffering because of illegal immigration. America's working poor were feeling economic uncertainty "before the latest round of immigrants showed up," Obama said. "We should not use immigration as a tactic to divide," he said.

Obama clearly tried to sweep Clinton into an argument over the issue saying, "this is where we have a very real difference." Referring to Clinton's stumble on the issue of drivers' licenses for the undocumented in a debate last fall, he turned to Senator Clinton saying. "Initially in a debate, you said you were for it," Obama said turning to Senator Clinton. "Then you said you were against it," he added.

Clinton hesitated to fully engage the controversy but took the opportunity to say:

"I co-sponsored comprehensive immigration reform in 2004 before Barack was in the Senate," she said. "I have been on record on this against the demagoguery and mean-spiritedness" of those who oppose immigration reform.

The two candidates also gently tangled on the universal health care issue with Obama criticizing the mandated purchase of insurance policies that are the center of Clinton's plan. "You can mandate it but there still will be people who cannot afford it," Obama said. Obama said he was intent on "bringing all parties together" to get a plan approved and that those negotiations would be "broadcast on C-Span."

Clinton rebutted the argument saying her plan "has been designed to be affordable with health care tax credits." Clinton said she was "proud " of her record on the issue.

The debate started on a friendly note when Obama said, "I was friends with Hillary Clinton before this debate and will be friends with her after." But even in those opening seconds, the Illinois Senator took a veiled swipe at his rival saying, "What's at stake is whether we are looking forward or looking backward, whether we are looking at the future or at the past."

Clinton also opened on a non-antagonistic note saying she was best qualified to deal with the "stack of problems" that would inevitably be on the next President's desk on his or her first term.

Tonight's CNN/Politico/Los Angeles Times debate was the first Democratic showdown in which the two leading candidates had a clear field to face each other after third-running John Edwards formally dropped out of the race early Wednesday.

Thursday's debate comes against the backdrop of a tightening Democratic nomination race not only in California but nationwide in which some polls shows Clinton leading Obama by a razor-thin four points, compared to a gap of 20 or more just a month ago. And it's still not clear in which camp former supporters of John Edwards will land. It's not only delegate-rich California up for grabs next Tuesday in what is a virtual national primary, but more than 20 other states coast-to-coast.

Obama came into the debate with a certain amount of momentum having won last week's South Carolina primary by a crushing 2 to 1 margin over Hillary Clinton and having reported a record breaking $32 million fund-raising take during the past month of January - as much as previous records set during a three month period.

Obama's take gives him more than enough money to buy national TV advertising through the Super Tuesday of February 5th and beyond if necessary. Hillary Clinton's campaign says it will disclose its latest fund-raising figures sometime Friday.

The powerful 150,000-member California health care division of the Service Employees International Union endorsed Obama just hours before the debate, providing him one more boost in his quest to wrestle the Golden State out of Clinton's camp.

The debate took place in an animated circus-like atmosphere as chanting partisan crowds gathered hours in advance around the Kodak Theater on legendary Hollywood Boulevard. Opposing groups of Clinton and Obama supporters waved signs and posters and strained to chant each other down. By the time doors closed for the debate, ticket-holders were scalping their seats for $1000 a pair.

Both candidates and their surrogates - from Ted Kennedy in the Obama camp and Bill Clinton for his wife--plan to campaign heavily in California in the next few days. Obama kicked off his final offensive early Thursday morning with an upbeat town hall aimed at wooing Latinos at an inner city Los Angeles junior college.

During that rally, Obama strenuously avoided criticizing his opponent by name but instead said voters face a "stark" choice between the past and the future." I look out at you and the future is what I see," he told the racially diverse college-aged crowd.

Now just five days short of the dramatic February Tsunami Tuesday, a growing number of political analysts and campaign professionals are predicting that the Democratic nomination may be far from settled when the votes are totaled next week. "I'd look to see real fireworks down the road, most probably in the March 4th Ohio primary," said a veteran Democratic consultant who is working for neither Obama nor Clinton. "Obama may be very well making his stand there," he said.

Other analysts have raised questions about Obama's strategy of doing numerous campaign events in smaller states like Idaho, New Mexico and Missouri over the next handful of days. They argue that Obama would be better served by concentrating his resources in California.

Both candidates are holding post-debate fundraisers Thursday night. Hillary Clinton supporters have been cited to the posh Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills. Obama's camp will be at the trendy Avalon nightclub in Hollywood.

Source(s): HuffingtonPost.com | Marc Cooper | January 31, 2008 10:04 PM
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.