credit history?

I have been rebuilding my credit for several years in order to be able to buy a house. I have many things I have paid off, but they are still on my report. Some are even from the 90's. How do I get these things off my credit file? I haven't had any change in my credit score, I am sure it is because this stuff is on my report.

Favorite Answer

1st, Paying off a old account will not remove the account

2nd, the account should stay on your credit for 180 days + 7 years from the last paymnet made (before the card was charged off)

3rd, If you feel the information should be removed from your credit you should wright and send in a request of removal to

• TransUnion

Consumer Solutions

P.O. Box 2000

Chester, PA 19022-2000

• Equifax

Information Services LLC

P.O. Box 740256

Atlanta, GA 30374

• Experian

National Consumer Assistance Center

P.O. Box 2002

Allen, TX 75013

4th, How your credit score is determand

Payment history 35% – Information about how you’ve managed your money in the past. This includes the number of past due items and how long items have arisen as well as collection activities you’ve experienced. Attachments are taken into account.

Amount Owed 30% - The total of your outstanding accounts, including the number of balances and the amounts owed on each one, greatly affects your FICO score. Credit rating bureaus also look at the proportion of the credit lines you have available to what you’ve actually used.

Length of credit history 15 % - Each of your accounts is separately reviewed to see how long it’s been opened and what type of activity has been generated.

New Credit 10% - Accounts you’ve recently established as well as credit inquiries from other lenders are all considered in determining your score.

Type of credit used 10% - This is the number of each type of borrowing including credit cards and retail accounts.

Source(s): Ryan

Write to each of those companies requesting a letter saying your bill has been paid in full or the card has been canceled, etc. Then forward them to the 3 credit bureaus.

Besides paying off your bills, there are at least two other issues that could keep your score low.

1. Does your potential credit on cards outweigh your paycheck? I have no balance on my cards, but I have huge limits. If someone told me tomorrow I was going to die, I could spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in a week. Credit bureaus don't like that.

2. Is there anyone else affecting your credit rating? Do you have a spouse, ex-spouse, child, legal statements, etc. that could be negatively affecting you? You may think those matters have been taken care of, but someone may have forgotten to tell the credit agencies.