Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.
what were the causes of the civil war 1861 1865?
What were the causes of this war? In other words, what specific actions taken by either the United States or its enemy (or enemies) led to the outbreak of this war? Or in the case of an already ongoing conflict like the First or Second World War, what led to U.S. involvement?
- Anonymous1 decade agoFavorite Answer
History books will tell you various theories, but here are the reasons that had the most direct influence on starting the war:
1. Jefferson Davis, who would go on to serve as president of the Confederacy, once gave a speech in which he suggested that "I have showered many a reproductive fluid upon the countenance of Mary Todd, and verily did she request still more". This infuriated Lincoln.
2. The North, desperately seeking a name for a baseball team in its least interesting city, attempted to goad the South into a rivalry that might spawn an insulting nickname for Northerners. It came down to Douchebags or Yankees. They chose Yankees, although they mean about the same thing.
3. Ancestors of the band Lynryd Skynyrd, hoping to develop a future marketplace hospitable to Southern, regressive rock, urged states to secede and be soundly defeated in war. Once the war was over, they convinced Southerners that the way to rebuild the economy was through sales of "The South Will Rise Again" bumper stickers and confederate flag decals and mud flaps, which still forms the backbone of industry in the South.
- 1 decade ago
there were a lot of causes like there were different times where the balance of free and slave states in the senate; umm examples would be kansas-nebraska act, compromise of 1850, when texas and california wanted annexation, cotton and trading, the 36'30'' line, sumner beating, wilmot proviso, dred scott case, amistad 1839, Lincoln-Douglas debates, Popular soverignty, and a whole lot more. The Civil war was a fight in US North vs. South and there was um outside causes too, like when the north put a tax on foreign goods so that everyone would buy american...but the people would still be paying more.
- 1 decade ago
Constitutional crisis over States Rights and the Southern Belief that the industrial North was neglecting the agricultural South.
WWI - the attacking of neutral shipping by the Germans and their underhanded meddling in the affairs of Central and South America.
WWII - The bombing of Pearl Harbor and the genocide of the Jews along with the illegal expansion for resources by both Germany and Japan.
- open4oneLv 71 decade ago
The Civil War was caused by the illegal invasion of the Sovereign State of Virginia by Union troops.
Lest anyone think it was started at Fort Sumter, that action was a result of the Union forces being asked to leave, and illegally remaining.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
This forum isn't adequate to answer this question. Books have been written about each of these wars and their causes.
It seems to me, that all three wars have two things in common:
2) Great Britain(They introduced slavery to North America and they did their best to help the South during the conflict.)
- yyyyyyLv 61 decade ago
the US Civil War began when several states asserted their "right" to disassociate from the union of states and form their own new country & the federal government said they did not have that right
the actual event was the union's decision to resupply the federal Fort Sumter in the harbor in Charleston, South Carolina; the supply ships were fired upon and turned back
- Anonymous1 decade ago
The Republicans under Lincoln freed the slaves the Democrats owned.