Shoveling a roof?

Please serious answers only!!.. How much would you charge to shovel a roof? Im talking a LOT of snow off of 3 roofs.Then the decks as well. This is about 5-6 feet of snow. Harnesses and all. Not to mention we have to hike 2 miles to the place in the snow as there is no access in the winter to get there.

actually we are doing this for my parents..if we don't the roof will probably collapse soon. my bf does this but we are just wondering what to charge.. as a fair price..

Well i should say he CAN do it.. just doesnt know what to charge

Actually we are in Crested Butte,co.. we normally DO have snowmobile access but we can't because avalanches have blocked the road.

Favorite Answer

Any place that holds five to six feet of snow on the roof should have a steep slope to the roof itself, (or the builder should be shot). Ever taken a good look at European Alps homes and their roofs?

So, that said, obviously you are up there by Great Lakes and having issues with recent weather, and there is "hard snow" mixed in there on the roof, or the slope would slough what is on it.

I would consider first, the trek in as arduous and time consuming, (where are the snowmobiles?}. Second, I would consider it hazardous duty and want hazard pay which is premium, irrespective of the harness, etc.

So, my own perspective would be this: the trek at $30 or so an hour. The roof work, by the hour, at about $50-60. Plus meals.

And, my friend, you better get some kind of binding agreement concerning injury on the job. Obviously you don't want to do it or cannot, but even with harness, if someone takes a tumble, your liability is there.

Best bet would be to find a company that moves snow, and see if they will send someone out to do the work; you pay the company, the company pays the laborer, and the company assumes responsibility for liability/workmens compensation, etc.

Source(s): Adding that there are long poles used to scrape snow off roofs available. Don't know if you are talking two story, but some of the work could be done from ground level with the right equipment, which looks amazingly like a concrete float, what they use to smooth out concrete farther out than they can reach from the edge.

Roof Shoveling Prices

Quite a lot as the others have said. Who pays if you damage the roof? Are you in business? Is there insurance in case anyone is injured? Workman's comp? You should probably have an extra person who is not going on the roof just in case of accident to those who do as there could conceivably be a problem involving more than one person and someone would need to go or call for help. Plus they can take video LOL.

2 mile hike in the snow alone got to be worth $75 per mile then the job of shoveling ;charge per inch and flight pay of course(anytime feet are off the ground)SEE how long it takes to do them; you got to be making at least $25 an hour for shoveling for each man-but depends where your living and how the money is there also-add 20%for a good economy and deduct 20%-for a place where money is hard to come by and cost of living is less

I'd say you could almost name your price actually. The electricians were to my house last week for 4 hours and I paid $100 an hour, plumbers about the same, the you also have to pay for supplies. So if you are renting the harnesses or if you are in business to do this, consider your overhead, like insurance. Oh, count the "travel" time, too.

It would depend on the size of the roof. I would let the owner/ operator know an hourly rate and then record the time it takes to complete the job.

3 to 5 hundred at least. A lot less then replacing a roof.

• Linda

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/MAfAJ

If nothing is stated on the contract it would become a landlord responsibility. However statements of whom is responsible for that is pretty much standard and they generally speaking say that the tenant is responsible for shoveling the sidewalk and all other such items.

• well, you should just decide on a fixed hourly rate of say, $30 an hour. that seems low, but no one has mentioned the fact that this is for your parents. really, you boyfriend should do this at quite the reduced price. figure out what you would normally charge, then cut it in half. i mean, this is just me, but kin should get a special deal. if that were my parents, i'd be stuck up there for free, but that's another story. hope this was helpful.

• What!! This is your parents you should do it for free,they've brought for free. If I was your dad & your bf charged me to help you clear my roof then I would charge him to go out with you!!