what are the best books for a 4th grader.?

a reading level of 4.5-7.9

Update:

loves long books(about 400 pages) and series.

Update 2:

loves long books (like 400 pages)and series.hard chapter books.

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Here is a reading list used extensively for 4-6 grade.

Talk to your local children's librarian!

Cindy

Reference Librarian

Grades 4 through 6

Baum, L. Frank. The Wizard of Oz.

Blume, Judy. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.

Byars, Betsy. The Pinballs.

Cleary, Beverly. Ramona Quimby, Age Eight.

Dahl, Roald. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Davis, Jim. Garfield Counts to Ten.

DeClements, Barthe. Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade.

Farley, Walter. The Black Stallion.

Fitzgerald, John D. The Great Brain.

Gipson, Fred. Old Yeller.

Hiller, B.B. The Karate Kid.

Howe, Deborah and James. Bunnicula: A Rabbit Tale of Mystery.

Lewis, C.S. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

O'Dell, Scott. Island of the Blue Dolphins.

Paterson, Katherine. The Bridge to Terabithia.

Rawls, Wilson. Where the Red Fern Grows.

Rockwell, Thomas. How to Eat Fried Worms.

Sewell, Anna. Black Beauty.

Silverstein, Shel. Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Sobol, Donald J. Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective.

Twain, Mark. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

Warner, Gertrude. Boxcar Children.

White, E.B. Charlotte's Web.

Wilder, Laura I. Little House on the Prairie

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

• PabloG
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Harry Potter may be a little too much for this level. (Those books get increasingly bigger!)

Judy Blume yes is always excellent. The "Fudge" books are great and funny. Lots of Judy's books cover many different age ranges.

Books like "Freckle Juice" are for younger children.

The books involving Fudge starting with appropriately enough "Tales Of A Fourth Grade Nothing" are good for boys and girls of around 8+, but others like "Otherwise Known As Sheila The Great" have girls as the main characters.

Slightly older kids will like "Are You There God It's Me Margaret" (with a girl in it) or "Then Again Maybe I Wont" (with a boy in it).

Older still (like 14+) will like "Forever" which covers very grown up themes.

If 8 - 12's like "Superfudge" etc then they will probably like books by Betsy Briars. "The Eighteenth Emergency", "The Cartoonist" and "Summer Of The Swans" are just excellent.

In another style totally - is Roald Dahl. Again younger readers will like "Esiotrot" "The Giraffe, The Pelly & Me", but 8 - 12's like "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory", "George's Marvelous Medicine", "James And The Giant Peach" and "The BFG" - all featuring boys and girls of about the same age. Of course there are many more great Dahl books.

• 4 years ago

1st grade Henry & Mudge Frog and Toad Amelia Bedelia Curious George Clifford the Big Red Dog Arthur Adventures Berenstain Bears (picture books) Miss Nelson (Allard) Louanne Pig Pinky & Rex Black Lagoon (Thaler) Franklin (Bourgeois) 2nd grade Junie B. Jones Magic Tree House Horrible Harry / Song Lee Arthur Chapter Books Berenstain Bears Big Chapter Books Fairy School Scooby Doo Mysteries 3rd grade A to Z Mysteries Third Grade Detectives Jigsaw Jones Captain Underpants / Ricky Ricotta Boxcar Children Amber Brown Geronimo Stilton Time Warp Trio 4th grade Deltora Quest American Girl Chet Gecko Animorphs Goosebumps Dear America / My Name Is America (diary books) Series of Unfortunate Events Abby Hayes

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • hmmmm
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I would not choose books for this child. He can choose them for himself. Remember that he has a social and psychological maturity level on which he reads. Ask the librarian, they have catalogues that list books by readability and social/psy. levels. Nurture his interests, not yours. He may be a great reader, but what is he doing with the information? Does he know how to synthesize, analyze and evaluate information? These are the highest levels of thinking. Check his writings. Do they reflect these levels of thinking? If not, he is just regurgitating info., the lowest level of learning. Language is an intricate symbol of thought. It is embedded in culture. I would move him to learn another language and he will extricate many understanding from this experience. My children were raised speaking three languages. They are excellent writers and readers. Mathematics is affected by language acquisition. Excuse the "he" part, it could be a "she". Sorry!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The best books would be:

* the 3 little pigs

* Cinderella

* Spot the dog

* Cliffard the big red dog

* Mr Poppers penguins

* Frindle

* The secret garden

* My teacher is an alien

* Do bananas chew gum?

* Farmer boy

* Cat walk

* Not now Bernard

* Tracks in the snow

* Biff and Chip

* Jim ugly

* The ugly duckling

* The bad beggining

* Adrift

* Hostage

* The wild kid

I hope thats enaough for your children or class :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My little sister, grade 4, has just recently finished reading A Dog's Life. She couldn't put the book down.

• 1 decade ago

Your local library will have a reading list for grades K-12. What better place to find books!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Andrew Clements is a great author for that reading level (Frindle, The School Story, etc.). So is Gary Paulsen (Hatchet, The River, etc.).

• 1 decade ago

R.L Stein books. My daughter really got into reading after picking up one of those books, and shes in the fifth grade.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.