Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

is it true that it takes 3 weeks to break a habit?

true or false??

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Yes, this is perfectly true. It you want to introduce your brain to a new positive habit then do it for 21 days and it is then registered in the brain as the norm! However, its opposite, a negative habit is also true!

Dr Maxwell Maltz

Brain circuits take engrams (memory traces), and produce neuroconnections and neuropathways only if they are bombarded for 21 days in a row. This means that our brain does not accept ‘new’ data for a change of habit unless it is repeated each day for 21 days (without missing a day)."

• 3 years ago

3 Weeks To Break A Habit

• 1 decade ago

I've heard and read many times that it takes 21 days to break a habit...or to CREATE one. That's something for all of us procrastinators and those of us who feel unmotivated right now to keep in mind. If you start a new GOOD habit, like maybe exercising, eating healthier foods, getting up earlier in the morning...or even seemingly trivial things like keeping up with weekly laundry instead of letting it pile up...in 21 days it will simply be a routine that you're comfortable with, and actually look forward to because it gives you a sense of stability and accomplishment.

• 1 decade ago

False but evidence is that CBT - Cogitive behavioural therapy should only take 6-8 sessions depends on the clients needs

Something I read

Source(s): Psychology Student
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i think you just have to make so many more new habits that you simply have no time for the bad one.

• 1 decade ago

i say false it depends on how much the habit is come up or how much you do it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.