White dove - angel of death, or peace?

I thought a white dove represented peace.

My friend says a white dove means death. He says it's "the angel of death"

can anyone clarify?

or maybe ven explain where both theories came from?

I had a dream that a white dove flew and landed on my finger. And it stayed there with me. I woke up so upset that I didn't have the dove....

so.... peace? or death?

or something else?

and why

thanks!

Favorite Answer

For me it's a symbol of peace. I guess it depends on what you believe though.

It means piece. If you have read the story of Noah and the arc then you would know. After the flood was over, he let out a dove to bring back what it could to signify that there was dry land, since he was still in the arc and could'nt see anything that was happening outside. The dove brought back an olive branch, thus representing piece on earth (since now all of the evil people were wiped off of it). This is also where we get the rainbow as a symbol of peace, because when noah left the arc, god made a rainbow. I don't know where your friend got his weird idea about it being an angel of death. It's no angel at all.

white dove = peace

black crow = death.

In Judaism and Christianity, a white dove is generally a sign for peace. The Hebrew Bible describes a story in which a dove was released by Noah after the Great Flood in order to find land. The dove came back carrying an olive branch in its beak, telling Noah that the Great Flood had receded and there was land once again for Man. (Genesis 8:11).

The motif can also represent "hope for peace" and even a peace offering from one man to another, as in the phrase "extend an olive branch". Often, the dove is represented as still in flight to remind the viewer of its role as messenger.

I can give you some insight on why people associate crows with death. First of all, a group of crows is called a "murder" and there is an old folktale that states that crows would form a tribunal to "judge" and punish bad behavior of a member of the flock. If that crow was found "guilty" he was killed by his fellow crows. Of course, this is just folklore, but the basis of this principle is that indeed a dying crow will often times be killed off by other flock members.

And an interesting fact, aside from crows(and ravens) being associated with battlefields (they are afterall scavengers), execution sites, and cemeteries...in England tombstones are also known as ravenstones.

www.care2.com

Source(s): ,,^._.^,,

It means peace.

From wikipedia------ In Judaism and Christianity, a white dove is generally a sign for peace. The Hebrew Bible describes a story in which a dove was released by Noah after the Great Flood in order to find land. The dove came back carrying an olive branch in its beak, telling Noah that the Great Flood had receded and there was land once again for Man. (Genesis 8:11).

The motif can also represent "hope for peace" and even a peace offering from one man to another, as in the phrase "extend an olive branch". Often, the dove is represented as still in flight to remind the viewer of its role as messenger

In Judaism and Christianity, a white dove is generally a sign for peace. The Hebrew Bible describes a story in which Noah released a dove after the Great Flood in order to find land. The dove came back carrying an olive branch in its beak, telling Noah that the Great Flood had receded and there was land once again for Man. The motif can also represent "hope for peace" and even a peace offering from one man to another, as in the phrase "extend an olive branch".

Often, the dove is represented as still in flight to remind the viewer of its role as messenger. So it is also a tradition for some to release white doves during funerals, so the dove can take the soul of the decease to heaven. White doves were never a symbol of "death", but rather, a messenger of God. White doves are also released during weddings, hoping that God will hear the wishes of the bride and the groom.

To see doves in your dream, symbolizes peace, tranquility, harmony, and innocence. In particular, to see white doves in your dream, symbolizes loyalty and friendships. It may also represent a message and blessing from the Holy Spirit. You have let go of your thoughts of hate and revenge.

• warfel

Doves And Death

Doves symbolize Peace. Doves are not angels.

• nxnxnx3 years agoReport

Angels means Messengers. Angel (angelos) is Ancient Greek word . So Doves can be Angels

Angels means Messengers. Angel (angelos) Ancient Greek word . So Doves can be Angels. but death...

This is Venus' bird.

· just now

To see doves in your dream, symbolizes peace, tranquility, harmony, and innocence. In particular, to see white doves in your dream, symbolizes loyalty and friendships. It may also represent a message and blessing from the Holy Spirit.

Hope I helped =]

They put an olive branch in its beak to symbolize peace.

The dove is a symbol of innocence, gentleness, and affection; also, in art and in the Scriptures, the typical symbol of the Holy Ghost.

• angel

White doves mean different things to different cultures. I guess it all depends on what culture or religion you are.

The most common meaning is one of peace and love.