Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastSouth Africa · 1 decade ago

Britain gags athletes from speaking up for human rights in China?

Have you heard that the British Olympic committee want to gag athletes re China? Yes human rghts groups are outraged at a clause that could see Athletes expelled for criticising China's abominable human rights record! What happened to the land of free speach, or did Gordon Brown broker some special deals in China last month? Britain cow-towing to Beijing eh?

What do South Africans think after South Africa was excluded from the Olympics and sport for so many years "because of human rights"?

Update:

Oops....LOL!!! Thanks for the spelling correction, re Britain it would be mad-cow towing!!!

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I read that earlier and they have to sign a contract which states they will be sent home if they talk about Chinese human rights. What a disgrace, what a cowardly stance from the British Olympic Committee. SHAME ON THEM.

Here`s a link for you kate

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/ne...

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

but this is total, hypocracy because China will not be the only country with an horrific human rights record because all of the African Union Dictator States, will be represented there Including Zimbabwe.

But this was just a smoke screen all along, the West and America saw the financial powerhouse that SA had become

and there was a concern, so the only way to prevent SA from becoming competition was to take us out of the game by forcing us to hand over, to a totally inexperienced, arragant, white hating corrupt party of men, the government of the most succesful country in Africa... the rest is history.

You talking to me Harryp? If you are then your life must be even more boring than mine, youv'e been standing there looking over my shoulder for the last 3 days now maybe you should get out more.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Have any of the Athletes signed the contract yet? And wasnt Brown accused of being a Marxist just a few months ago? China has a bad record on Human Rights but the ANC frequently support them at the UN and all the other rogue Nations or have you forgotten on how they voted on the Burma issue?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I can empathize... such sporting bodies are always placed between a rock and a hard place, since it's their function to ensure their people compete, not address social issues.... however, athletes are people too, and they should be allowed to say whatever they feel is required to say....

As far as I'm concerned, if China cannot handle people criticizing the way they do things, they shouldn't invite people to their country. Remember, athletes may be gagged, but they won't be able to gag the spectators (for a short while at least)...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

As one of many six ancient cities in China, Beijing has been the center and heart of politics all through its long history and therefore there is an unmatched wealth of finding to delight and intrigue travelers as they investigate the city's historical previous and interesting modern growth, know more with hotelbye . Today in time, Beijing it is now one of typically the most popular journey locations on the planet and the places lice Yunju Temple or Summer Palace are certainly in to the reason why for what Beijing worth visited. Beijing Summer Palace is the biggest noble Garden in China.

• kati
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

i haven't heard that before. have you got this in writing? or a link? because if thats true then gordon the moron needs a good kicking. our athletes struggle to get any support or funding from the government and now they have a loaded gun held to their heads. its sickening. the chinese should be criticised heavily for their inhumanities.

edit. thanks for the link manu. well im disgusted beyond belief. if i were an athlete i would boycott the games. england should , everyone should boycott the games.

i saw somewhere ,sorry no link , that china demolished peoples homes to build stadiums etc but failed to re house them. these people are now homeless.

• 1 decade ago

Britain gag athletes? Eddie the Eagle?

• 1 decade ago

Geeze Alf. You eat, breath, sleep ANC.

The athletes can always wait and talk about it after the Olympics. Or throw any medals that they may win in the Jantze river in protest.

• 1 decade ago

Ja Boet, politics is a dirty game. What more can I say? I despise politicians. Look at Hillary Clinton, she changed her campaign manager to be a black woman over the weekend after she started to loose too many black voters in the latest primaries to Barack Obama. She ousted her Latino manager after all the primaries in the predominantly "Latino states" are finished.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No MJ I have not heard anything like that here yet.......what about animal rights everytime my husband goes to China he has to eat a turtle (that is a business lunch special). They boil the turtle slowly alive and when the poor thing sticks its neck out trying to get out of the pot, they throw wine, oil, herbs etc. down its throat to "spice it up" a bit................SICK........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.