Can I apply paint over stain and polyurethane?

I built a small dresser out of birch veneer plywood and wanted it to be very dark. I used a "Dark Ebony" Minwax oil based stain and covered in two coats of Minwax oil based poly (sanded in between) but I've now decided I want it to be much darker with a slightly different dark mahogany color (more... show more I built a small dresser out of birch veneer plywood and wanted it to be very dark. I used a "Dark Ebony" Minwax oil based stain and covered in two coats of Minwax oil based poly (sanded in between) but I've now decided I want it to be much darker with a slightly different dark mahogany color (more brown and not so black). My plan is to get a small can of oil based paint that is the color I'm after, thin it with mineral spirits and paint over the project. Is this ok? Can I apply another layer of polyurethane over the paint once it's dry? Also, what is a good thinning ratio to start with for the paint/mineral spirits? I will be brushing this.
Update: To confirm, I'm actually planning on painting with thinned paint over the polyurethane. I'm wondering if I can then polyurethane over the dried paint to add durability and the satin sheen I'm after.