Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

largest battle in history of humankind?

I would like to know what battle in history involved the most men and how many were participating in it.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Battle of Stalingrad was a battle between Germany and its allies and the Soviet Union for the Soviet city of Stalingrad (today known as Volgograd) that took place between August 21, 1942 and February 2, 1943, as part of World War II.

It is often considered the turning point of World War II in the European Theater and was arguably the bloodiest battle in human history, with combined casualties estimated above 1.5 million. The battle was marked by brutality and disregard for military and civilian casualties on both sides. The battle is taken to include the German siege of Stalingrad, the battle inside the city, and the Soviet counter-offensive which eventually trapped and destroyed the German Sixth Army and other Axis forces around the city.

Source(s): wikipedia
    • Login to reply the answers
  • larmon
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Largest Battle In History

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The other answers posted are germane to your question particularly the comments made about the Battle of Stalingrad .

I will answer with the largest tank battle in WW2 on the Eastern Front at the Kursk salient which involved 2700 tanks , 800,000 infantry , and 2,109 aircraft committed to this battle by the Germans versus 3600 tanks , 1,300,000 infantry , and 2792 aircraft of the Russians .

Although at Stalingrad the Wehrmacht was decisively defeated and the Russians had shown that they could indeed fight and win battles this also was a demonstration to the West that Russians could stop and persevere against the Germans - this was a political victory as well that cost Germany the confidence of it's Axis partners and strengthened the resolve of the Allies to seek unconditional surrender .

The battle of Kursk was demonstrably the largest tank , aircraft and infantry battle in the entire war .

:0)

• 1 decade ago

The largest land battle in history took place at the beginning of Operation Barbarossa..... 3 million Axis troops vs approx. 4.5 million Red Army troops in 1941. After that year, the battles were reduced to regional conflicts such as Stalingrad, Lenningrad, etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Battle of Moscow in October,1941 to Jan., 1942. Both sides over 2,500,000 men.

• 3 years ago

i don't recognize if we somewhat opt to develop the style of yank troops. the placement is that that is change right into a politicized conflict (I gained't factor out any names), even if the outcome that this has had is our troops are waging conflict with one hand tied in the back of their backs. they opt to be able to pass in and kill, capture and split the enemy, even if or not they be community or from outdoors the borders. i don't recognize if it somewhat is even possible now. the perfect answer for now would properly be for the Iraqi protection stress to step up and do the pastime genuine, with our back up help. that ought to deliver a multitude of constructive alerts to the persons of Iraq and al Quaida.

• 1 decade ago

During the anabasis of Alexander III, he fought against Darius III at Guagamela or Arbela: 331 BCE. The Medio-Achaemenids had 250,000 soldiers in total. Their front line consisted of the acontists and other light adscititious or auxiliary, kardakes which provided the main contingents of the Persian forces, longchophoroi or heavy cavalry, Bactrian and Sogdianan cataphracted pachyderms or armored war elephants, Grecian mercenaries and tribes from Pasargadae, Tapuria, Traxiane, Hyrcania and Hecatompylus. The Macedonians under Alexander III 'Eupator' had 45,000 soldiers with the main Macedonian phalanxes with a total of the tetraphalangiarchy being 28,687 phalangists, 8,192 prodromoi or light cavalry, 4,094 peltasts and acontists as skirmishers, and more psiloi and rorarii or light soldiers, followed by the tagmata and doryphoroi or the royal soldiers being the hypaspists.

Pyrrhus of Epirus who had 22,500 phalangists in his Epirote phalanxes composed of the Thresprotians, Molossians and Chaeonians, 3,000 kataphractoi or heavy cavalry used by the Hellenistic Diadochoi or 'Successors', 2,000 funditores or slingers and 20 pachyderms from his symmachia or alliance with first Demetrius I 'Poliorcetes': (Lord of Macedonia) and then Lysimachus (Lord of Thrace, Anatolia and Macedonia). Pyrrhus amalgamated and subjugated Illyricum, Tymphaea, Paravaea, Ambracia, Amphilochia and Acarnania, along with Corcyra that he received from Agathocles, Despot of Syracuse. During the Pyrrhic Wars: 280-275 BCE of the battles of Heraclea: 280 BCE, Ausculum: 279 BCE, Lilybaeum: 278 BCE and Beneventum: 275 BCE inimical against the Roman consuls of Publius Valerius Laevinus, Publius Decius Mus and Manius Curtius Dendatus, thousands of Romans, Libyo-Phoenicians (Carthaginians) and Epirotes perished.

The Carthanginians had 1,043 peltasts in the front line, 4,096 pikemen in the phalanx and 2,048 psiloi in the third and final line, with 512 heavy cavalry and light cavalry such as the Numidians, Libyo-Phoenicians, Lusatians and Celts on each flank.

Finally, the Graeco-Bactrian hegemon Eucratides I 'Eupator': 171-145 BCE who subjugated Demetrius II, Antimachus, Euthydemus II and Agathocles with 300 soldiers to the Indo-Greeks 60,000 soldiers. This conquest gave him an autarchy consisting of Tapuria, Traxiane, Hyrcania, Hecatompylus, Sogdiana, Ferghana, Bactria and Arachosia. Later Menander I 'Soter' seized control over Paropamisadae, Arachosia, the Punjab, Mathura, Gandhara all the way to Pataliputra.

• The Western Front, 1914-1918. Although divided up into, "Mons" "Loos" "The Somme" etc. It was in reality, for the soldiers who served there, one long continuous battle.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.