Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What great men and women of the past were big believers that the rich are rich because they are hard workers?

and the working man poor because he is lazy?

That's what today's conservative Republicans seems to think. They praise the rich, and bash the poor.

FDR didn't think like that or, LBJ, JFK, Theodore Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson or Jesus of Nazareth. None of these people had that kind of mentality.

==================

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. Capital has its rights, which are as worthy of protection as any other rights...The error is in assuming that the whole labor of community exists within that relation. A few men own capital, and that few avoid labor themselves, and with their capital hire or buy another few to labor for them."

- Abraham Lincoln, First Annual Message to Congress, 1961

Update 2:

"One of the chief factors in progress is the destruction of special privilege. The essence of any struggle for healthy liberty has always been, and must always be, to take from some one man or class of men the right to enjoy power, or wealth, or position, or immunity, which has not been earned by service to his or their fellows. That is what you fought for in the Civil War, and that is what we strive for now. "

- Theodore Roosevelt

Update 3:

"No man should receive a dollar unless that dollar has been fairly earned. Every dollar received should represent a dollar’s worth of service rendered—not gambling in stocks, but service rendered. The really big fortune, the swollen fortune, by the mere fact of its size, acquires qualities which differentiate it in kind as well as in degree from what is possessed by men of relatively small means. Therefore, I believe in a graduated income tax on big fortunes, and in another tax which is far more easily collected and far more effective—a graduated inheritance tax on big fortunes, properly safeguarded against evasion, and increasing rapidly in amount with the size of the estate. "

- Theodore Roosevelt

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.a...

Update 4:

"I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

- Jesus

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=47&ch...

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Alex G
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It takes one generation of the "rich" to be truly hardworking. The rest of the clan just has to inherit all the profits with interest.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Is about opportunity and they have all the opportunities.

I have a friend who had a great idea for a small business and he started it getting loans and he was successful for a few years until a mega-millionaire stole his idea and with his millions was able to create a multinational mega-chain of his idea. He was not able to compete and lost his idea, his business and almost everything. So although he had a good idea, and worked hard on it if you don't have the resources, the big fish eats the small fish. And when you ask for protection for the small is amazing how many others say it's unfair to protect the small fish.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Father/Daughter Talk - A True Revelation

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college.

Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a

very liberal Democrat, and was very much in favor of

'the redistribution of wealth.'

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch

Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the

lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat

with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored

an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to

higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government

welfare programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed

by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to

her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA,

and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was

taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which

left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She

didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many

college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, 'How is your friend Audrey doing?'

She replied, 'Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy

classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so

popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to

all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes

because she's too hung over.'

Her wise father asked his daughter, 'Why don't you go to the Dean's

office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your

friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and

certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA.'

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired

back, 'That wouldn't be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades!

I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done

next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail

off!'

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, 'Welcome to the

Republican party.'

• 3 years ago

it truly is a sturdy factor, adult males have an interest in attractiveness at the same time as women have an interest in fulfillment. the version isn't any guy is stupid sufficient to marry recommend to someone entirely depending on the girl's visual charm, visual charm is continuously an advantage. With women that is different, a lady will easily marry someone entirely depending on the guy's economic protection.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

yes, well capital comes from having labored and then having decided to refrain from consuming.

so, first the capitalist does something good and then he does another good thing.

And then he gets taxed for having done a second good thing?

is this stupid or what?

Source(s): doh
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Usually it the rich, and their children who inherited the money.

• 1 decade ago

Could it be that brains count for more than muscle? That could be your problem, you rephrase the same stupid class envy motivated questions all the time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.